1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any OFFICIAL coaching available at The Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I've been browsing through the 90 pages of The Grand's program, but don't see a reference to the possibility of getting some professional/official coaching while at The Grand. My game has fallen apart and last night was a disaster - couldn't wait to get in my car and head for home. My shooting friends offered advice and I appreciate their efforts to help, but it all spiraled out of control. I didn't check the score sheet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't even make double digits - dismayed but not surprised. I had been knocking at the door of a straight.

I am going to The Grand, August 11 to 13, just to take in the experience and maybe shoot a practice round just to say "I shot The Grand" - for whatever that's worth.

Anyhow, I think I would have a better chance of getting back on track if I devoted some time and money to having a professional coach to work with for a few hours. I am delighted that my friends want to help, but I find that I'm reacting to each piece of advice and its making a mess of my game. After only six rounds my shoulder and neck hurt and I think I even had a little cheek abrasion. Yes, I know...start with the basics. That's the plan. If its possible, I'd like to spend time with a pro, one-on-one if possible. As much as I'd like to start the process "yesterday", The Grand seems like a decent place to get serious and hire someone who can help me work out my kinks.

Thanks for any input...Larry Frieders

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Larry--Usually the clinics are held during the days leading up to the start of the Grand. Usually most of the "Big Dogs" have at least one clinic or one-on-one at the WSRC before the Grand. I doubt you'll find much in those last days you stated as most of them are well into competing at that point. I guess you could try contacting the WSRC and see if and who is holding them and what dates.

Glad your gonna try and make it. Hope you have a great time.

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I believe that Leo Harrison has conducted a clinic a few days before the Grand in year's past.

Contact Karla (at email address above) to see if there are plans to do so this year.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

All of the top shooters will be there. You might try to contacting them and see if they would meet you for a private lesson, which might be more effective in your situation. Bill Malcolm

5. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

So what "clinic" taught the "Pro's"? Read the book "The Road to Yesterday" by Dick Baldwin, check out Mark Arie. He shot a no rib, no sight Marlin and beat some of the best. Don't complicate a simple procedure! I have made 50 straight free throws shooting a basketball many times. It just takes practice. I believe trapshooting is not much different. Do you think that a guy who shoots 10-30 thousand targets has practiced enough to get good? They should be good!!! People take all kind of lessons and they work for some and not for some, so try it and see.

Harry

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As things stand, there's little chance of getting one or more of the top contenders to offer help during this important competition.

ATA could meet with several top shooters to see if any may be interested in putting on mini-clinics for shooters after the shoot-offs or on vacant traps? If so, shooters could be drawn form a pool they paid to get in for the chance? In that case, everybody wins,ATA,the top shooters participating and well paid from the pool entry fees the shooters that are drawn out of the pool! Finger thinkin this mornin.

Hap

7. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Most all of the Teaching shooters will be there early.. some don't shoot all events of the prelim so you could very well find one who would be more then happy to give you some one-on-one instruction.

GOOD LUCK

8. xtj

xtj Guest

pm sent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.