1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any o/o truck drivers out there

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapman99, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

hello, looking for some info on buying my own truck and going into buisness for myself anyone willing to give me some pointers i would like to talk

thanks jim arnold
    jaelpaso@hotmail.com

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

If you have a pile of money to piddle away, you just found a wonderful way to do it.

Trucking companies are going out of business every day.

Unless you have solid long-term contacts, it will be a very hard business to break into and remain successful.

Do you currently drive for a company??

3. lostandout

lostandout Member

if you want to spend alot to make a little it great

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Best way to make a million in the trucking business, is to start with 3 million, after ya lose the first two, quit.

5. doublea

doublea Member

I owned my own truck for 11 years. Every year I had to drive more miles to make the same money. If you like living in a truck, never being home and having no family or hobbies, you might be able to break even. Don't ever expect a paid vacation or any kind of retirement. Adam

6. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I hauled cattle for 15 years. Did a little flatbed stuff for a floor company here in Amarillo. I worked for myself, never leased on to anybody. Istarted from scratch, and some friends helped me get established, and gave me loadsn and I reciprocated when I could. It was good to me. I was home alot, and gone some. I quit in 2005. The reason was, I had to wait 60-90 days on my money. They want you there at 7 AM, washed out, and ready to go. They don't pay over weight tickets etc. Steering tires were $1000 a set, oil changes, washouts, and log books. It has all changed now. I had to have another back surgery in 2006, so I sold my truck to a neighbor, and never looked back. But, I was never late for a load. Merry Christmas, Charlie Henderson

7. gwsaucedo

gwsaucedo TS Member

Have been an otr truck driver since 1987 and an O/O since 2006. Have purchased and paid for a Freightliner Columbia. To listen to most people being an O/O is a big mistake. I have found it to be very rewarding, financially and otherwise. There are many pitfalls to avoid and you are going in the right direction by asking questions. Listen to those that weren't successful and you will learn how to fail in this business, cold but true. If I can help my email is above. Greg Saucedo

8. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

you'd make more money flippin' burgers and get to be home every night.No,just kidding, Really do it and live the free life of a owner/operator. You tell them where you'll go and how much you want paid. Don't take no chit from those cheap dispatchers you call from a truck stop.You get free fuel coupons that reduces the cost from 3.45 a gal to 3.42 a gal with a shower. Whoo,hoo!I make over 100k a year driving and I spend 125k doing it. I don't pay no taxes!I'm screwing the Man! Try it, you'll like it! 2008 Peterbilt 359 conventional double bunk!

9. warren

warren Member

If you going to go into business for yourself I would really look into something without so much Gov't regulation and taxes. Trucking is over regulated and every state takes out it's piece of hide from you. If you like equipment I would think something like operating a backhoe or something like that would make just as much and not require so much registration fees. Just my obsevation I was in the trucking business for several years and did haul a lot of construction equipment.

warren

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I would suggest you reverse engineer this project. I.E. find out what the rates are THEN get an accurate idea of what your expenses will be. Then sit down and think about it!!

11. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

You can make a small fortune trucking.. just like my farming.. start with a big fortune..you will end up with a small fortune.. 2 positive stories.. one of my really good freinds is a O/O he hauls propane in the winter.. wears his self out when the getting is good.. then goofs off all summer.. the other.. a guy who worked for me was a o/o for 30 years.. usually east to west coast type hauling.. he told me he cleared more money when he bought a old flatbed and welded log bunks on it and hauled logs for local logging companies..home ever night, didnt have to buy every meal for a truckstop..etc..

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Call CR England and drive one of theirs for a while. They offer a lease purchase plan and you can walk away from it any time if things don't go well.

Leave your money in the bank!

13. bocephus

bocephus Member

Rates are lower today than they were in the late 80s, amd fuel is 3 times the cost. Not to mention insurance etc

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you hustle and are responsible you can make fair money driving for FedEx Custom Critical. You won't get rich but you can do OK if you're the right type of person.

-Gary

15. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

thanks guys i failed to mention i have been driving for eleven years just a grunt truck driver i've had a few different jobs in that time it just seems to me the owners of these companys have everything new houses boats fancy cars
    while us drivers are just making it thanks for the help just trying to get all the info i can before i make my choice

p.s maybe these owners are in debt up to there a** who knows

thanks again jim

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Check out Larry Roberts.. owner of R&L carriers.. he has more 100K pulling tractors than I have guns... When he comes to a pull you know who is going home with the top 3 trophies... the big money always finish at the head of the pack..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.