1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any NFR viewers out there

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You know the Christmas holidays are right around the corner when the NFR is going on. I haven't been able to make it out for the last couple of years, but at least it's on TV.

I still make it out to the Lazy E for the timed event championships every year though.

ss

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I wish I could watch it.....nobody's broadcasting it in Canada.....some government cultural hor$e$hit about why we don't get ESPN up here....

3. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Missed some watch ESPN CLassic if you can it is a live feed. ESPN2 will have it check NFR web for live feed TV that should do it.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Having been dumb enough to steer wrestle a bit in my younger days, I get a kick out of Joe Beavers commentary. He's very knowledgeble about what's going on in front of, and behind the chutes.

ss

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Well,

The bull riders really stunk the joint up again. 1 qualified ride in two days and it was a 70.5 point lolly pop ride.

ss

6. high 2

high 2 Member

A well paid lolly pop ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. logndog

logndog TS Member

I used to ride bareback broncs in the PRCA and IPRA, and if you think that cowboys are well paid there is something wrong. For what is required the pay is horrible! plus the fact that 90% of the money is won by 5% of the hands.......I guess a lot like trapshooting!
    Earnie Ross III

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

missed some,

Me too:(

Get to watch it all tonight, at least whatever they decide to show.

Logndog,

I made money everytime I went to the rodeo. I had one dandy of a doggin' horse. You couldn't wear him out and he was quiet in the box. He went along to every rodeo. I was already hauling a horse anyway (girlfriend, at the time, was a barrel racer).

ss

9. logndog

logndog TS Member

Yea, that was were the money was! I just was never a "timey" although at 6'5" I should of been a dogger. I did rope and dog in the practice arena, but only a few times in a show. Being a bareback rider, we were in the car and gone after the first event ( as long as none of us drew slack or an after perf reride) I was a pick up man for several years as well as judging some bull ridings and local stuff oh yea, one year when I broke my thumb team roping I also was an announcer. I was never so broke in my life, but I wouldn't trade the experince for a million dollars!
    Earnie Ross III

10. logndog

logndog TS Member

Oh yea........ I also know all about those drum runners!!!

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Man has it been a good one tonight. Back to back arena/world records set in the team ropin'!

Packman13,

If you're still out there, I'm really jelous now.

ss

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Packman13,

I've been watching it on live feed, via espn360, for the last two nights.

ss

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It's espn360.com. It's a viral feed on your computer.

ss

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gary,

At least they are going to air the last round on ESPN2 tomorrow night at 11pm eastern time.

Tonight was a dandy though!

ss

15. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Gary
    Sid Britt is our family neighbor on the big creek and Butch is a neighbor on the little creek in Or. I also know Shawn Greenfield very well. So nice to have some local boys at the big show. Also Jeff Green is hazing for Shawn. Know those boys well......My last name is Ashbeck and our ranch is Pine City, Sid knows me.

16. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Oh yeah! Work gets in the way of attending in person, but I've been watching and keeping close track of several events/competitors. Saddle Bronc is "my" event, but being an Oregonian I'm following the bareback riders closely - No. 1 and 2 in the averages, plus their travelling partner has made some money this week, and one of the barrel racers is from our neck of the woods too. Central OR, that is. I'd say Oregon is decently represented this year!

17. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Ha! An Oregonian, Bobby Mote, just won the World title for Bareback riding - his third. Great ride, 88.5 points. One of his travelling partners, Jason Havens, just took second in tonight's round, 87.5, and second in the averages competition (behind Bobby). And their third travelling partner, Steven Peebles, placed in the money tonight too. Way to go, Oregon!

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Gary,

I agree that Luke was on the short end of a bad call. I would only hope the PRCA has the guts to make the right call here. A very similar thing happened as the US Nationals a couple of years back (I know it's drag racing but bear with me).

In the Pro Stock Motorcycle finals, at the biggest race of the year, the timing beams didn't trip when Steve Johnson crossed the finish line ahead of Mike Smith (I believe). Mike Smith was declared the winner during the race as the NHRA didn't have any sort of photo finish camera, but ESPN did! Long story short, the NHRA overturned the the race results the next day and declared Steve Johnson the winner by reviewing every bit of video that ESPN had.

Since then the NHRA made a couple of changes with photo finish cameras and a required ring on the front rim of the motorcycles.

I didn't see if the official timing clock is visible in any of the replays. This would be needed to correctly time the run. If the clock isn't visible, all the replays would be for not. We'll see what happens.

For me the hightlight of this years NFR is Billy Etbauer winning 2 rounds in the saddle bronc. The fact that he won his 50th round of NFR competition and then won round 10, #51 (at 46 years young this could very well be his last NFR). Both times he received a standing ovation at the end during his celebration lap.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.