1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any news???....Michigan State Shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by over the hill, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My son and I was thinking of going to the Mich. State shoot.

Haven't read or heard a thing.

Any news??

Regards.....Gerald

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Is kind of odd that nobody has posted a thing. A friend of mine was there yesterday and said that there was hardly anybody there as of the 1st handicap. He estimated 100 shooters. He said only two banks were needed to run the shoot. Considering it's already day 3 and there are no scores posted yet for day 1 is also curious.

JK

3. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

It's sad to see Mason heading down the path it is. Seems like every year crowds get smaller and less vendors show up. Too nice of a place NOT to be full of shooters.

Matt Ski

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Matt, I think things will start picking up a lot today. With the 4th falling on a Monday this year, many folks aren't getting the extra day off that sometimes goes with it when it falls on a Thursday or a Tuesday. This is the first year in a long time I can remember the state shoot not encompassing the 4th of July. Some may also not have campers replaced/repaired as a result of the storms during the Great Lakes Grand. I do think you are correct though that shoot attendance is down. (I'll be the first to admit I am part of that decline in 2011 but my kid is picking up some of my slack) It was great when we had more vendors there but as a vendor, you need to go where you can maximize your profits. If we aren't putting bodies on the grounds, it's a tough call for an out of state vendor to commit to the initial expense of just getting there.

Jeff

5. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Well, I'm having a good time. Nice targets today after two windy days. Crowd is a little small, but things are pretty well run this year.

Scores are now posted on the MTA site.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Having a GREAT!!! Time!

Jim chapman

Hell, Michigan

7. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

You are shooting extremely well Mr. Chapman....congrats. Appears that Andrew Wild is on fire this week. Great shooting for such a youngster. Weather appears to be co-operating so far. Let's hope it stays that way.

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Shot singles with Andrew this morning. Nice kid.

Perfect targets today. 80's, little wind.

9. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Shot singles with Andrew this morning. Nice kid and a good shooter.

Perfect targets today. 80's and little wind.

10. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

Shot singles this morning. No shoot pins were handed out at classification. Classifier claimed attendance was down 40% from last year. Weather was good. Using 6 banks. 25x25x23x24 = 97 Good targets. Good food. Great place to shoot. Big days will probably be tomorrow and Sunday.

11. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

You want some news, here's some more news....

Just got back from the shoot where my son along with almost 200 other miscreants took place in the A.I.M. and S.C.T.P. State Trap Shooting Championships. Why miscreants you ask? Well, they must be based on the way they were treated like they all had the plague today. All of the kids were segregated from the rest of the adults who apparently have decided that they do not want to shoot anywhere near any of the bastard child youth shooters. The kids were all sent down to the far west end (where there is just about zero shade) of the complex along with their parents, grandparents and all the others that came out to watch them compete at the biggest shoot in the state And to to be doubly sure they were all well clear of the kids, all youth shooters were made to start at 9:00 when the light is the worst while the decision makers all got a a later than 10:00 start. All of the score keepers on banks 1 through 6 (grown up traps) had sun protection in the form of a large sunbrella on their chairs. The 16 scorers for the kids sat and baked in the 95+ degree sun all day. (Ah screw 'em, they're shooting for half price anyway right?) And while the kids were forced to start shooting early, then they had to listen to the annual meeting blaring out over the loudspeakers. The first 4 squads of kids were called to the bench and were never called to the line, so they kind of had to just figure out they needed to just start shooting. The kids were not called back to the line for their second 100 targets (like the grown ups are) or given any advance warning of ANY KIND. Fortunately our group wandered up to the line just as the squad before us was taking the line. Different color targets were obvious on bank 7. They actually looked like they were left over orange dome mixed in with the NY style. Either that or they look like they got wet at some point because of how dark they were. Totally different color from bird to bird. What the hell is their problem out there? And yes, the parents and coaches from several clubs noticed a lot of these things and commented on them. The youth essentially was just having their own little mini shoot out there well out of the way of the shooters that pay the bills. I am pretty sure that the MTA will add up all of those bothersome little youth shooters (you know, the future of the sport) and include the number in their paltry final shoot attendance. One of the first things our kids asked was "Don't we get a pin this year?" Those are the kinds of things that matter to kids and not a place to cut costs. It is absolutely amazing if given enough time, just how badly some folks can screw something up.
    goldex_2008_030316.jpg

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

It was a nice shoot, numbers were down, MTA did screw up a few things, hopefully the new board members elected will see the problems and fix them, hopefully !!!!!!!!!!

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Congrats to the miscreants who found the ability to shoot lights out today in singles and caps!

As an aside, I did not enjoy shooting caps on bank 6 behind the AIM kids who's followers found it necessary to sit on all the shooters benches forcing the following shooters to remain standing for the entire event. Something we didn't struggle with during singles thanks to the "segregation "

14. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I was at the Michigan State Shoot today, and with all due respect to GoldEx's account of things, there is another side to the story. I'm pretty sure most if not all of what he said is true, but I'm not so sure that his report of the reasoning is correct.

If the kids want to be treated like the adults and shoot with the adults, they need to learn to shoot like adults. What I mean by this is that the adults don't spend 15 minutes between traps having a review session with mom/dad/grandma about why Jr. missed a target. If you take an honest look at the AIM shooters, most don't have the experience level to fit in with the flow of the regular shooters. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, or even that something should be done about it. Putting the kids on their own banks allows them to take whatever time they deem necessary to shoot their targets, and if everyone in AIM wants to take extra time between traps for coaching sessions then that can be done without impacting the overall shoot. It also allows them to shoot at their own pace without feeling pressure from the adult shooters that they would inevitably be holding up if they were all mixed together. I've been at the Michigan shoot when they put the kids in the first few squads on all banks and the adults followed behind, and that didn't work very well.

For what it's worth, I'm an adult and I didn't get a pin today either. I thought I heard talk that there was a problem and they were considering mailing them out, but that was just something I overheard.

There are a lot of ways to look at it. You could take the perspective that the Michigan association made the effort to accomodate the AIM program so that these kids would have an opportunity to shoot. I'd question how many of the kids would feel comfortable being mixed in with the adutls. I'd like to believe that no one in the Michigan association set things up to purposly disadvantage or make it difficult for the AIM shooters.

Scott

15. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Hello! Nobody got a pin! The b.o.d. fogot to order them! With what they went thru a few weeks ago, it's a wonder the shoot went off at all. From events in the past, Goldex sounds like a disgruntled curmudgeon. Scott's take on things is way more accurate from what went on the last three years. I was not there today.

That being said, how many state shoots hold this program "A.I.M." on their singles championship day? I know we need the youth and need to promote our sport but there is a time and place for everything. :)

I do believe Michigan's numbers are a direct result of customer service, right along with the number of vendors. That boils down to how everybody involved is or has been treated, participants right along with vendors!

Whether we like it or not this is a business. It's success or failure all depends on management. JMHO, Bill Grill

16. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I coach SCTP and we and the AIM kids did get pushed to banks on the end, SCTP went off after AIM, myself waiting till 10:30 was worse than starting at 9 when you arrive at 8, we didnt get off the field from the 2nd hundred until after 3:30! The heat today was the biggest problem. I hope SCTP does drop this shoot as many kids/families in Michigan go up north on the 4th weekend so it causes many conflicts.

I shoot Tuesday and Thursday and attendance is down, the grounds were in good shape, better than some past years with no mud given lack of rain.

17. BILL GRILL

http://www.michigantrap.com/index.php/2011-michigan-state-shoot/

^

18. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I agree with Scott. I wrote a similar post myself yesterday afternoon that was not nearly as charitable and decided not to post it. I had a long paragraph about a squad down at the practice trap that was not at all flattering to the coach who was shooting (and complaining) with them.

I have to wonder what the parents and coaches are really teaching these kids about trapshooting when they spend much of their time picking apart every shoot they go to with a long list of petty grievances. Is this what you want your kids to expect? Do you have any idea how much hard work was required to get this shoot off the ground? If you don't, volunteer to help next year.

Instead of enjoying the competition and teaching these kids to shoot their best game despite all the distractions and chaos, some coaches and parents don't think they're supporting their kids if they aren't "protecting them". All you're doing is teaching your kids to feel entitled to special treatment. That's not how trap works, and you're doing your kids no favors.

Lighten up and let the kids have a good time, which is what they would naturally do if you get out of the way and let them. My god, it's not a blood sport.

19. BILL GRILL

bobdog, well said I applaud you! My feelings exactly. It AIN'T hockey!

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The separation was the results of last years debacle. As the kids went off first last year parents, grandparents, friends and god know who came early and took over the line. They took and stayed in most of the line parking, set up tents, grills, lawn chairs and general meeting and holding area for their kids. All the regular shooters had no place to park, couldn't get through on the sidewalk, had constant disruption behind them (noise). The topper was with a southerly breeze and the grills and the smoke they produced as meals were cooked. TOTAL lack of consideration for the shooters on the line.

I don't know about you but I paid top dollar to shoot those targets and I and others deserved some consideration.

This years separation worked as intended, next year it can be made better. Try communicating your concerns to the BOD and switch ends I don't care. I shot bank 8 today and their is nothing wrong with it and shot down there previous days also. Bitching on here does no good what so ever.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

in the last three years how much has trap shooting grown