1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any need for a better Beretta Auto trigger?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I've shot a Beretta Auto at trap and sporting clays since they were first introduced. Have also shot Perazzis along the way. Big difference in triggers...right? High quality guns have crisp, positive triggers with no creep and fast hammer fall. Beretta auto stock triggers do not. Over the years, in an attempt to make my Beretta triggers more like those of high quality non-automatic shotguns, I've developed, what I think, is a closer comparison. Thinking about going in to production and offering a modification to existing triggers...or even a complete steel model.

Do you think there is a market for a better feeling Beretta Auto trigger?

Thanks in advance for your input.

milt

2. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

That is the reason I don't shoot a 391 now. I have owned a half a dozen or more thinking "I can get use to the trigger" but can't. I have had more than on smith work on the triggers and was never happy with the results.
    I shoot a Kreighoff and so in my mind the bar is set very high.

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

You'll never be able to get the ignition time comparable
    to Perazzi, Krieghoff, etc.

4. Duck

Duck Member

milt,

There is a market with me!. I'll be your Huckleberry!. :) I have two
    Xtremas first generation (hunting synthetic) that have horse**** triggers. Bought both from the same guy used. One has a overtravel screw behind the trigger in the guard and does seem marginally better than the other, I'm sure
    someone attempted something to improve it. Not sure if all Berettas auto triggers have basically the same innards?. If you want to try one to check
    your mod. I'm your guy! PM me if your interested. These are meatsticks so
    something somewhat crisp around 4-4 1/2#s would be huge. Maybe your mod has them lighter already?.

Don;

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Build and make it a release & I will buy it.

Phil Berkowitz

6. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I should have said "I don't shoot one in comp." I do have a Beretta Extrema II that I hunt with.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

YES!!!

8. gousgouni

gousgouni TS Member

Cole does a great 391 trigger job for around $90.00. Great addition to any 391. Great service too. As mentioned above the lock time can never be the same as P guns and K guns but that is not mechanically possible. I know good trigger work though and I highly recommend Cole for the 391.
    Hope my input helped a bit.

9. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Mine is a release and has been since the early 70's so this would be available for both pull and release. My hammer fall is not as fast as a Perazzi but considerably faster than a Beretta factory. Sky Buster, you're right, it wont be as fast but close to double the speed of factory if not more. With some additional development and testing...it could be even faster. The big improvement is with the feel. Positive trigger shoe feel (not mushy or wobbley)and with a release this revision makes the trigger feel more positive on the set and release. Once you start to relax on your release, the hammer has more tension and you can feel it go. The shoe itself is much more stable in the housing. I have a spare release made by Bruce Bowen that does not have these modifications and there is NO comparison between the two. Before I would offer this, I would do further research with my engineering colleagues to maximize any current or additional features. I haven't done any further improvements all these years because the original revisions produced an acceptable and much improved trigger.

I very much appreciate your candid input...pro or con!

milt

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My Cole triggers were just so so. Timney was the best before he got too old.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Doug Hubbard built a release for me years ago and as I trade and buy 390, 391, teknys I just keep moving the trigger from gun to gun. It's a great crisp release. As far as I know he is still building them and he posts on here.

Not to jump on your thread but to build a good trigger for this gun is an art and there is a lot of junk out there.

Good Luck and success with your endevor.

Don

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I figure if Precision Triggers can get $1800 for a Perazzi release, an excellent, metal trigger for a 39X series would reasonably set you back $600-800...

13. dtrap

dtrap Member

Yes...I have 3 303s...great guns to hunt with and shoot sporting clays. A crisp trigger would be great.

14. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Cole Gunsmithing wrote the book on tuning 391 triggers!

15. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

milt- send me a pm or call me this weekend --i'd like to visit w/ you on this trigger---wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Cole no more "wrote the book" than Angleport, Seminole Gunworks or Briley...

Allan Timney wrote the book on Beretta auto triggers if any one person did.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Uh, until I read this post, I did not know I had a problem with my 391 Triggers.

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Cole has a triggersmith who does their triggers. I had a Cole trigger & it was less senitive than my Spears release.

Phil Berkowitz

20. bevolt

bevolt Member

391 shooter writes,

"Uh, until I read this post, I did not know I had a problem with my 391 Triggers."

I have 2 391's in my closet. One has a stock trigger, one has a Cole's "precision trigger job". Huge difference. Stock trigger feels very "squishy" and has lots of pre-travel and over-travel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.