1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Mutual Fund Advice?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TC, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

I have a couple sizeable CD's that are maturing that I need to do something with. The new rates being offered are not good. Could anybody recommend a couple good Mutual funds? Tony

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I like recommending an advisor and I chose a major company and interviewed. One of the questions was, "let me see what's in your account and why." Then it's deciding how much time you'll leave it alone, what's the history of it's performance, what are the aims of the fund and does that match your thinking.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Tony,

What is "good mutual funds" to one person is not to another. Do NOT rank any investment by returns alone. Just look at what happened in the late '90's when investors chased returns.

You need to determine what you want the money to do, when you are going to need any or all of it, how much volatility you can stand, do you need an income stream now or in the near future, etc.

These are just a few of the questions that I, or any good advisor need to take into account BEFORE recommending ANY investment. There are a lot of "good" mutual funds and other invesmtments available but it all depends what you expect and want from them. Jim

Jim

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A four percent gain beats a 10 percent(or more)loss. I personally would not be looking to jump in during the next 6-12 months.

5. ithaca4e

ithaca4e TS Member

NO ONE KNOWS when to get in or out of the market, but I can promise you that today is a lot better time to get in than a year ago. Can't tell you anything about tomorrow or anytime thereafter. If anyone tells you they can, run the other way. Be prepared to answer lots of questions, some of them personal, if you expect to get good advice about what to do with your money. It's just like telling your doctor everything, if you expect an accurate opinion of your health.

6. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Personally, I would take the low CD rates for another year or so and then take a look. I see a lot more downside before we hit bottom. I would not even consider buying any mutual fund unitl the election results are clear.

If you're scared, say you're scared. I'M SCARED!!

Bob

7. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Tony, are you looking for a stock fund, a bond fund, a gold fund, a real estate fund, a mortgage fund, or any others? Using the generic term "mutual fund" doesn't narrow things down very much. Everybody seems to be assuming that you meant "stock mutual fund", but that's not what you said.

As far as advice goes, I have some for ya: Don't pay any attention to anything you read on this or any other internet forum.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Fidelity Funds and American Funds are two large fund groups with many options both are well rated by Morning Star. Then pick funds based on your stomach for risk. Great time to buy in as the fund share prices are far less expensive than they will be.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Limited Ireland Fund might be considered. This fund invests your money in Calcutta's and Lewis purses. Today, I can think of worse investments.

Pat Ireland

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Stay your course. No time to panic.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Cash is not a bad place to be right now.

12. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

WAMU just went on the auction block today. May want to do as shannon suggest and cash out for a while to see what else is going on. Post-2

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

That's good news, just got approved for $10,000 ,no interest until 2011 on balance transfers from WAMU. I think I'll go long on gold..again $$$.

14. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

"Sell everything- THE SKY IS FALLING"- Chicken Little

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Stocks and funds are at a prime for purchasing now. The market will make a correction and if the damn government will let them turn around and do what they have always done. The market is capitalism in these times.

Don't forget it was the government intervention that caused this market to be where it is at now.

You tell lending institutions to make loans to people that are not making enough money to even rent an apartment. If you don't you are in violation of the fair housing act, or whatever and if you don't we will cancel your Fed insurance, or make it imposable for you to grow etc. .

So the lenders let people with unverified income get loans with no money down, and in a lot of cases 110% of the value of the home. The people getting the loan have nothing invested and 10% ahead of the game at the start. If they lose the home, so what they are not out anything.

Rock

Jim

16. nipper

nipper TS Member

buy gold if you think the bottom is here , we are only at the middle,lots of other banks will fail,but remember your president called it an adjustment,how much has your 401k or retirement fund been adjusted -2000,-3000, -10000
    etc etc

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Don't let the "nipster" scare you. Talk to your financial dude. Bonds are usually pretty safe. Most are suggesting to wait 6 months, then get in.
    I think I'll go to "Tennis.com" and see what nipper's buddies are doing.

18. nipper

nipper TS Member

please how can buying gold scare someone

bill

19. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

If I was you I would sit back with my cash. Lot of uncertainty in the market. If anything, I would get a 3 month or 6 month treasury bill but willnot pay much and is safest instrument out there. lot happening out there.

20. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

More money has been lost on "precious metals" than any other investment. Metals are bought with extra cash, not investment cash, because they are unpredictable. you will pay for securred storage, handling, and even management fees. If you store your own, you don't have enough to worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.