1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY LIMITS ON AMOUNT OF SHELLS, GUN POWDER?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    this past sunday i was at the local club. a few of guys discussed if there are any legal limits pertaining to the amount of shotgun shells you can store in your house, as well as the number of kegs of reloading powder? one guy said to his knowledge there are no limit on shotgun shells, but he thought there was a limit on kegs of gun powder. what brought this up, a few of the guys were thinking of purchasing shells and gun powder for reloading purposes each payday. anybody know?
    steve balistreri

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Steve...

Here in Delaware there are no limitations/restrictions for private individuals that acquire shotshell reloading components. I'm not sure about any city and/or town ordinances that may apply. I've never heard of any, so I would guess that there are none.

Since early 2006, I have been buying components and factory loaded shells regular intervals for future use.

Curt

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If there is I am in trouble

4. senior smoke

years ago one of the guys thought he was told after a certain amount of shells or gun powder you needed a seperate type of shelter to keep it stored?
    steve

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

If your city has adopted the National Fire Codes, it used to be 25 pounds of powder outside of a specially designed, wooden container. With all of the changes in codes lately, it may have changed. I would not ask the city.

6. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Senior Smoke,
    Possession & storage regs. of smokeless reloading powders in residential homes is actually determined by the local town/city fire marshall in New York State.(This varies quite a lot!) Blackpowder storage is more strictly enforced or denied in large cities in NYS. You must follow Federal requirements also...HAVE AN MSDS SHEET POSTED ON YOUR STORAGE AREA FOR EACH TYPE OF POWDER. 20 lbs. max. is the norm here.
    A word of warning is now posted! DO NOT ASK YOUR LOCAL FIRE MARSHALL PERSONALLY! Have someone else do it. WHY? The local fire marshall will input your address into the 911 data base!! Every person using the 911 data base will then know you have ammo components and....GUNS!!!
    By the way, most law enforcement officers do not know the difference between smokeless reloading powder and Black Powder.
    Respectfully submitted,
    Jet Boat Bill

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nat'l Fire Code limits small arms primers in residences to 10,000 total all types.

MK

8. senior smoke

years ago a friend of mine had a house fire. he had primers, shotshells go off, and firemen would not enter the home. i always have been told if a shotshell goes off that is not in a barrel, it would just fizzle out??
    steve

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

One of my neighbors has a cannon he likes to play with every so often. The long standing joke around here is that if the house is burning, everything is good.

However, if you see a spark around the potato cellar run like the dickens.

ss

10. NintyT

NintyT Member

Here in Illinois, where I was a "bomb tech", we went by the nat'l standard. At 25 pounds a storage magazine was required for gun powder. We were not concerned with the type, black or smokeless, or pyrodex, but with the total weight. A storage magazine is not meant to contain an explosion, but to protect the powder from hazards outside of the magazine.

Most firemen will tell you that they do not fight an explosive fire. If you tell a fire crew that your burning house has 8 pounds of gunpowder in the bsmt, don't be surprised if they back away and watch it burn.

Steve j

11. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I was told about a year ago here in Pa that if you have more than 100 rounds of ammo in you home at any given time you are guilty of having an arsenal.

Not sure if its true or not,thats why I now load shells as needed.

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

At one time I bought Red Dot by the ton in 15# kegs. At the time there was a nuke storage building available for storage. The fire/ins. depts. suggested I rent a space away from home. It was a great biz and my friends all reloaded on the cheap. But that was then - - -.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

amount of explosive in shotgun shells

are there any limits on gunpowder for reloading

fire code limits reloading

idaho black powder storage restrictions
idaho reloading powder laws
maximum amount of gunpowder stored new york
possession limits for black powder for reloading in wi
smokeless powder laws wisconsin