1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any kayakers here on TS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimx200, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimx200

jimx200 Member

As a long time paddler in my old Navarro canoe, the past 5 years I have been bitten hard by the kayak bug and now own 3 kayaks. Seems most of my weekends are now spent on the rivers, lakes, and some ocean trips (wet suit required and don't think about a great white). On one of my yaks, I plan on some duck hunting in some shallows, surrounded by deeks, and covered with artificial camo grass. Should be fun. Headed down to the Gulf of Mexico this fall for some kayaking and snorkling too...hey at just under $100. a day, all meals/beer, boats, services, it's a deal. If you have not tried kayaking, be very careful...it's addicting! Anyone need an opinion on a yak, let me know as I have paddled about 20 different boats in our club.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jim, I've always loved being on the water but never tried kayaking. My daughter loves it and has tried to get me into it with no success. Friday night I won a 12' Wilderness Pungo at a DU dinner raffle so I am looking forward to trying it out. A question for you would be, is that a good starter for me? 205 lbs. and grey on top. Bob H.

3. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Now to ask the more important question....how many on ts.com can FIT into a kayak? lol, just kidding, it really looks like a blast. John

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

about 10 years ago, my wife and I got into kayaking, mostly to play on the ocean. Amusingly, one of our favorite places to yak is the Navarro River and Bay near Mendocino. Lots of other great places in rivers and the ocean near there. We have 5 yaks now......oops, 6 if you count the inflatable yak we bought last weekend. We dive for abalone off of our sit on tops.
    Alder1, go for it with that Pungo, without a doubt, I am more impressed with that yak on river and bays that most any other entry yak. It is my wife's favorite and it works fine for me at 180#, so I bet you will have a great time with it, it tracks great and does not need a rudder, get a skirt for it (now I am making you sound like a skeeter) for the winter.
    d

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

Two Hobie Adventures here, mine set up for fishing and the wife sails hers. Great fun.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

which one or type would you use for duck hunting?

Gene

7. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Alder 1, you got yourself a fine boat. It's the 870 of the boat world...most who use it never have a reason to "upgrade". A word of advice or caution on a spray skirt: as in DON'T...and only after lessons. If you roll your boat with a skirt on, it can be very scary trying to get out of the boat while tipped sideways or upside down...not fun, especially in cold or dark water...I know. I suggest some lessons and then graduate to a spray skirt ONLY if in rough water. Your boat is a sit inside (they also have sit on tops or SOT yaks) and if flipped, make sure you can get out quickly. ALWAYS wear a life vest! I suggest you take a few lessons and intentionally flip your boat to learn how to make a easy exit and drag it to shore. Practice. A swamped boat, especially if some distance from shore, can be very dangerous in colder water. I know people who were clueless about safety and got themselves into trouble on either calm or rough water because they panic and are not trained.
    The market has soared for the sit on top boats, probably due to many fisherman now using them to get into places a power boat will not go. And SOT's are very easy to get back on in case of a roll and are more stable than a sit inside. SOT's have open decks, but give you a wetter ride.

Gene: get yourself a inflatable raft, not a kayak, for duck hunting...very stable, lots of room, easy to inflate and very affordable. Check out www.inflatablestore.com They have some in olive drab green and also sell camo covers.

8. mike b.

mike b. Member

When my wife got into kayaking, it changed her perception on why I needed another gun. To date we have 5 kayaks in the yard ranging in value from $400 TO $3000 each. I asked why she doesn't get rid of some of them? The answer was they all are different and each is enjoyable. Since then no more questions on why I want another gun!! AMEN

9. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Here is the correct address...http://inflatablesstore.stores.yahoo.net/huntingfishing.html

For hunting/fishing, check out the Fishmaster towards the bottom. These are pretty well made and can take a beating. I prefer these inflatables to sitting inside a cold concrete or steel sunken blind. Get a double action hand floor pump (about $20.) and they can be inflated in under 15 minutes. They are much quieter than a wood or aluminum boat too...no trailer needed.

10. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Just upgraded from my camo-painted Ocean Kayak Frenzy to an olive green Prowler 13. I'll be testing it out this weekend for the early duck season. We have a few "no motor" management areas, and the kayak is just about perfect for a single hunter.

In the off season, I'll be using it for snorkeling and to fish for bass, bream, snook, seatrout, and tarpon.. On the couple of non-hunting trips I've gone on so far with the Prowler, it's handled beautifully. I can even haul my wide butt in and out when diving.

I highly recommend it.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jerry, I guess after all of the positive feed back here, this"fat kid" is going to cram into the 12' Wilderness Pungo. Should be a sight.LOL It may makes it's maiden voyage in New Brunswick the end of the month.Grouse and ducks are open on the 1'st, a great time of the year. The best. Bob H.

12. tj303

tj303 Member

I have duck hunted from a Poke Boat. http://www.pokeboat.com/ a cross between a canoe and kayak. I thought it was very stable. TJ

13. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

A Kayak built for a trapshooter is usually called a barge.

14. gotbass

gotbass Member

go to kayak fishing stuff and check out their forums. Just about everything you ever wanted to know about kayaks. Nice bunch of folks. Tell them how much you weigh and how tall and they will suggest yaks that will work for you. Most all are fisherman so you know they can be trusted to tell the truth. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.