1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY IDEAS HOW TO COMBAT THE HIGH COST OF LEAD

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    a shooter out at the gun club today said that he heard some clubs will be harvesting their lead. instead of getting paid for the lead, they will pay the company who does this for them, than re sell the lead to members. is this even feasible?
    steve balistreri

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. My local club is reclaiming shot this spring. I am going to see how much of it can be bought.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is a lot of lead out there and it is worth a lot of money. Every squad deposits abut 8 lbs per round. Some ranges at local clubs haven't been mined in the past 20 years. Lead is a $1.38 a pound today. It adds up over the years and does not go bad over time. HMB

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The price is dropping, it is $1.32 a pound now. HMB

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Our club (Maywood Sportsmans) as done this in the past and sells it to club members seems to work well.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mabe in the future clubs will install a lead recovery system on the trap fields. A screen is placed on an angle in the shot drop zone. The shot lands on the screen and rolls into a trough. It is collected and sold back to the members. System is used in Europe with a 96% recovery rate. HMB

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've been using it almost exclusively, for 16 yard and doubles, for the past two years. I haven't had any barrel damage but, due to grit accumulation, have to clean out my loader about every 5000 loads.

Ed Yanchok

8. senior smoke

sounds like this is the way to go. i like the idea of some kind of recovery system. if we could send men to the moon, i am sure we can think of something affordable and effective. wonder what price range the cost per bag of shot would be once resold to the club members, after the club deducts their expenses?
    steve balistreri

9. senior smoke

thanks for the info.
    steve balistreri

10. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Our club mined last summer and kept a bunch of the reclaimed for sale to members. the shot was washed and cleaned really well. this stuff is excellent - we even use it in international loads and it breaks targets just fine and patterns pretty well.

11. DJM

DJM Member

On a related thread I read the shot disperses into the ground (dissolves?). That determining if a reclaim operation is feasable depends on how how many shells are fired every year. The pellets from years back are no longer recoverable.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Shot curtain,I think is the answer for enviro and recover.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

DJM,

Shot does not dissolve, it oxidizes, which has little effect on recovery.

Steve,

Shot curtain cost is about $2000 to $4000 per field. Depending on the terain. Clubs should be able to recover the cost in a short period of time, and then make a profit. HMB

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What could the tree huggers say about shot curtains? I love the Idea. Shoot at your club and recieve "shot credit" against fees for total bill on targets shot.

Sell recovered shot to members to promote future in sport.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Then we could endlessly fight over the color of background!

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Let me assure everyone that I do not "own" the Pocatello Trap Club - I'm only the Treasurer.

Looking back in our records I see we last had the Club mined in summer 2004. Duane Vokenand from Kalispell, MT did the mining, on a 60% (Duane)/ 40% (Club) split. We recovered about 110,000 pounds of lead. I think Duane sold his share to Northwest. We had our share trucked there and exchanged it for new shot at a cost of just over $5 per bag, plus the freight both ways from Medford.

We have scheduled Duane to mine again this summer with the same 60%/40% split. When I last talked to Northwest a few months ago we were looking at a cost closer to $7.50 per bag plus freight on the exchange. We plan to sell the shot to members only at a considerable savings over the going market rate. The problem will be to decide how to do it in a way that is fair to our shooters yet discourages "entrepreneurs" from buying it to resell at a big profit.

To the inevitable question about why restrict sales to members, I'll say that anyone is welcome to join our Club for $20 annual membership. We are pleased to already have many members who reside outside Pocatello.

17. senior smoke

limit on the # of bags sold would have to be made. why haven't more clubs done this?
    steve balistreri

18. ouch

ouch Member

I am not trying to dig up old bones, But what became of mining the home grounds in Vandalia ? Richard

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The Home grounds were mined about three years ago . Neal Winston took all the lead and is shooting it now .

20. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

why haven't more clubs done this?

do you know what it takes to reclaim shot?

I've seen Gene Sears equipment, there are only a few of those machines in existence. Not only that, it is pulled by an $80,000 tractor trailer and takes 3-4 men to operate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.