1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any ideas for a DIY lead hardness tester?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Neil Winston, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

0   0   0

<A NAME="503607">Subject:</A> A shot-hardness tester (photos - Winston)<BR>
    Email: nwinston@minn.net<BR>
    Date: 05-Dec-05<BR>

In a recent thread about the patterns of hard- vs. soft shot. To make it right, I tested the hardness of the shot.

You are going to measure the difference in pristine pellets before and after a weight is dropped on them. You can use a micrometer, holding the pellet with really pointy tweezers, or something like this, which is easier:

crushmearurerweb.jpg

Here's the rig, taken apart. There's a big solid steel block, a steel "slug" weighing a pound which drops onto the pre-positioned pellet, a brass guide to keep the drop consistent, and a 1 inch steel cube which is withdrawn releasing the slug from a constant distance:

crusherapartweb.jpg

Here it is put together. Imagine there is a measured pellet under the falling weight as soon as you slide the cube out of the way and it will be crushed to some degree, that degree depending on the hardness of the shot.

crushertogetherbestweb.jpg

The softer the shot the more it crushes. Here the soft pellet is on the right.

crushedpelletsbetter.jpg

With the weight I use, hard 8 shot, starting at 0.090 inches, crushes about 0.023 inches, while soft shot crushes 0.029 inches, within a thou or two.

Winchester, Fiocci, Federal, and Remington shot is hard. Much "Magnum" shot is hard. Some is middling, some is pretty soft.

Yours in Sport,

Neil

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

doggai, "The seed of need"?? You certainly got my attention. Inquiring minds wonder why. What in the heck could create that interest? I was extremely impressed with what Neil did and most certainly will accept his results. I hope I never want to re-invent this wheel. (LOL) Shoot well, Bob

3. TjayE

TjayE Member

0   0   0

Neil, I like your tool and the simplicity of it. Thanks for the information. Tom E.

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

0   0   0

Go to the website- http://www.theantimonyman.com/thermometry.htm he has a very good descrition on using a thermometer to find out the alloy of lead based material. He also sells lots of things related.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

Babbit is an alloy, not a metal. It could contain a variety of metals. What metals cause the drippers to clog?

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Interesting JF. I didn't realize that car and truck wheel weights are different. You have given me enough insight into shot making to know that I'll keep buying it. Thank you for the education, I've learned something today.

7. sasquach

sasquach Member

0   0   0

I'm not sure which metal in babbit clogs the drippers, but I think it is zinc. Some wheel weights are made from zinc.They are the ones that float on top. They will melt if the temperature gets high enough. I think babbit also contains some copper which may be the culprit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

diy lead hardness tester

diy lead tester

homemade lead hardness tester