1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any home electronics gurus out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by vpr80, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I had my garage doors wired for an alert chime to let me know when the door is open, but I can't find the actual chime that I need. They are wired for a continuous 24V while the door is opened and I want the chime to continue ringing, but all the chimes that I found only ring once and stop.

So any ideas on where to find a decent sounding chime (I have a buzzer right now that is just brutal)?

Thanks

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

The easiest way would be a magnetic door/window alarm sensor. Mount one on the track and one on the door, when the halves are separated it closes the circuit and the buzzer sounds. You could put a switch in line so you can turn it off if you are going to have the door open for an extended period of time. Run from a battery or a 12 volt power adapter. Under $20. Piece of cake. Use a normally open sensor. No current draw to speak of.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Sorry I should have been clearer. Everything is wired already to the existing garage door contacts. So all the contacts and power is there. Everything is set-up already, but I am currently using a $5 buzzer from HD that is horrible. It's loud and super annoying. So all I am trying to do is just find a pleasant sounding chime to replace the buzzer. Just the chime, everything else is there.

We first tried regular door chimes from HD, but the problem that we ran into is that those are only meant to chime ONCE. So the door opened, chime rang and stopped. I need a chime that will keep going as long as power is applied to it and the door is open.

Thanks

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/1829/=bd263s

you are looking for a signal device (Back-up buzzer, etc.) - if it is too loud wrap it in insulation to absorb some of the sound

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yeah I think you're right, but since this one is going in the kitchen, I was hoping for something that sounds half decent like a door chime.

I found one that sounds ok from Sonalert. It's the last one on the page. But I can't find it anywhere to order it. All the others sound horrible.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'm pretty sure all the electronic chimes are actually continuous except for an electronic component in the circuitry that stops them. The circuit on one of them should be quite simple to read for anyone with any electronics experience. Simply remove the component (I'm going to guess a micro-relay) that controls the chiming circuit and with that component missing the chime will cycle continuously.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Maybe but I would have no idea how to do that.

8. front242

front242 Member

What about the 12v chime from under a car dash? You could use a 24v step down module like the one here: http://tinyurl.com/4rplzmn That might be something not too obnoxious.

Tim
    F²4²

Edited because the first one I linked to was $149! Ugh. The other one is $22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.