1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any guns compare to Win. Super X-1 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ipscmaster, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

I recently started shooting a Win. Super X1 which I have owned for over 10 yrs. and never got around to shooting.I am thrilled with it's performance and how comfortable it is. After only one session with it, I am already outshooting my other semi-autos. Is there another recently produced shotgun that compares IN QUALITY and feel, or will I have to start looking for a used one (or two).I wish I had shot this gun many years ago. It is truly delightful to shoot. Thanks for any advice..
    ipscmaster.

2. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

I love my Super X1 i use it for a backup and shoots great

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've tried the Benelli's, Beretta's, Browning and 1100's. All are gone and replaced with 3 SX-1's. The others functioned OK but the triggers cannot compare to the SX-1!!

4. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I have a SX1 and SX2. I prefer the SX2.

5. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Nothing compares!!! Now, if Multi-Catch would start making their shell catcher for the SX-1 I would be very happy.

6. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Nothing compares!
    claybrdr_2008_0303154.jpg

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Your sister....
    bigmperazzi_2008_03033.jpg

9. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

No manufacturer has made a shotgun which can be be dissasembled for cleaning as easily as the Winchester Super X model 1. Winchesters management oviously demanded a shotgun to be designed that would match the Win M-12 with the same
    quality of maufacturing. This was accomplished. Winchester certainly has samples of the Remington 1100 knowing what the design team had to exceed in
    in functionality. Manuactures do buy their competators products.

Winchester took an accounting charge of 2.5 million for design and manufacturing developement for the Super X shotgun. Winchester could have
    accomplished the same developement in their Japan plant for $250,000.

The Super X was built on much of the same belt driven tooling the Winchester
    M-12 was built on. Winchester likley lost money on every Super X shotgun that was ever built because of outdated manufacturing methods. Winchester did not moderize their plant until the 90's.

When the Winchester introduced the Super X shotgun Remington aquired sample's of the shotgun and they were very concerned this new Winchester shotgun product would cut into Remington market share of their successful Rem 1100 shotgun. Remington's management analysis of th cost for Remington to manufacture the super X was $350.00 per shotgun which was the retail price of the Super x when it was introduced. Remington dropped the idea of introducting a competing product knowing Winchester was "losing" money on every shotgun built. Winchester could not continue to manufature a shotgun without turning a profit.

As good as the Winchester Super X shotgun was the Winchester marketing people
    failed to convince the shotgun buying public to purchase the shotgun. The Remington 1100 was already intrenched in the skeet and trap fields and the hunting public was purchasing the 1100 by the thousands every year.

Winchester marketing people failed the super X shotgun in many ways. Comparing the super X against failed because the Remington 1100 (Print advertizing) already had public acceptance. The Super X "hunting" advertizing should have
    compared the Super X against the Browning A-5 in quality at less cost.

Beretta did not repeat Winchesters marketing misstakes whith the A-302 and the
    390/ 391 introductions. Beretta cut into Remington auto shotgun market share
    in less time than the Winchester super X shotgun was built.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Steve Fischer's article from ClayShooting USA a few years back. Good read.

I don't think any auto compares. I don't shoot trap with mine anymore, it shoots too flat. But put the skeet barrel on it and it's a joy to shoot. No recoil, and a crisp trigger for doubles. JMO

Wayne

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I would have to say the 303 and the Super X 1 are proving to be the best autos ever built. Years end up telling the story on guns and these two are without a doubt still the standards to try and meet.I hate the bulky SX1 forearms and the bexel at the back of the receiver where your trigger finger rubs while shooting. I also dislike the fact you have to pushh the release button to load a shell. But the gun is a tank and functions like nothing else.

12. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I have owned a "LOT" of Auto's over the years But, had never owned a SX-1.I visited With Mr. Tom Strunk at Tucson one time and he enlightened Me to the SX-1. I have since Purchased (3) SX-1's And A SX-3 DU From Bob Schultz. These Are the smoothest and most enjoyable Auto's i Have EVER Shot. Smooth Auto like A Rem. Model 31 is a Smooth Pump. What i think people need to remember is A "Gun" does not have to have a 12,000.00 Price Tag To Be A "Good" Gun. JMO joe90t

13. gtrjames

gtrjames TS Member

as far as workmanship goes, they are in a class of their own...I hate having to press the release button to load a shell though.
    If I had to pick one to break targets with it would be the 1100.
    not saying it's a better gun, just that I shoot them better which makes them a better gun...for me.

14. JH

JH Well-Known Member

It seems people are becoming more enlightened.....I only have X-1s and 303s....

15. oleolliedawg

Just got back from the Skeet range. 50 of the ugliest mis-crimped mixed shells ever and not a hiccup. Can't say the same for the fellow shooter with the 11-87 who needed my SX-1 to complete the round!!

16. RayReys

RayReys Member

and the cousin

rayreys_2011_08091.jpg

Subdued awesomeness to them...

I do have an A302 on its way that I'll probably enjoy as well -
    ...and I can say my Montefeltro has never let me down either.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When the Winchester Super X-1 trap gun first came out in my area, they were selling for $75.00 more than the Remington 1100 trap gun. At that time $75.00 was a lot more money than it was today, reason why most continued to purchase the Remington.

I have owned both guns, and all you have to do is close the Super X and you might make up your mind on what gun was made better. Both guns broke targets with the best of them. I feel the Super X was more reliable, but in my own particular situation, I could shoot the 1100 a bit better.

In my opinion, the Super x and the 303's are the two most dependable semi auto's ever built. I feel the 1100 has less recoil of all semi auto's though.
    Steve Balistreri

18. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

did they make a lefty ?

ernie

19. oleolliedawg

20. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There is actually a church called The Church of the Holy SX-1.
    Worshippers come from all over the country to pray at the sacred
    shrine - a gold plated and jeweled never fired SX-1 (in the original box.)

When the gun first came out in the 70's it was rejected by unbelievers who
    clung to their golden calf 1100's because besides costing less they were slimmer, lighter,recoiled less, and pointed better. Those unbelievers
    still cling to those superstitions to this day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester super x1 or remington 1100

winchester super x1 trap or 1100