1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Gun Will Blow Up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We all have heard about the K-80's blowing up. I have seen the gun that was a NEW first time out in the field Mossberg blow up and hurt someone. I have seen the Perazzi that blew up. The Win model 12, OVER LOAD, a browning A-5, a Marlin 30-30, THE WRONG POWDER, a glock, TO MUCH BULLS EYE POWDER and other guns that blown up. Its all in how you take care of your gun and how you handle your gun. For example, a guy had a blooper on the field. He just popped the hull out and loaded a new shell in the gun and was getting ready to shoot. We all told him to clear his barrel. OH I will just blow it out with the shell. We jumped on him and told him to unload his gun and remove the wad. There was an accident waiting to happen. Stupidity to the max. I will first put the blame on the shooter before I put blame on the gun.

The gun is only as safe or sound as its owner. When I get the money I will be buying a K-80.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Only guns that are possessed by demons blow up. HMB

3. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

I'm not trying to be antagonistic but a wad in the barrel will not cause any damage to a shotgun that has no predisposed problems. It's a path of least resistance thing.

BTW, my Infinity will not blow up, it is indestructable.LOL

Josh Andersen

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

$$90-T$$

You are going to get a lot of arguement from people who have had their guns blow up because of stuck wads, bullets, dirt, cleaning rods, etc. A barrel can blow up with any sort of obstruction and I am sure there are metal experts, gunsmiths and manufactuers who can tell you otherwise.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Josh never seen a wrung barrel.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

Josh never seen a wrung barrel.

7. plinker611

plinker611 Member

stupid is as stupid does

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I saw snow make a ring bulge in a field gun.

HM

9. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Auctioneer.......Thanks, finally nice to know some use some common sense. GEEEEEZZZZZEE. What a relief, I was kinda wondering what definition of shooters are on this site.........Rob

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Any of you read the "Barrel Obstruction" section of "Hatcher's Notebook"? If you have, then you would in no way believe a plastic wad has the ability to stop enough pressure from a shotgun shell to make the barrel fail. Hatcher was involved in doing different experiments for Springfield Armory. They did everything from cosmoline and cleaning patches to firing full power cartridges into barrels with bullets wedged in them. For what it takes to make a rifle fail, I highly doubt just a wad would do it to a shotgun.

Bruce Bowen also did his own experimenting and found that neither a wad nor a 20 gauge shell stuck in the forcing cone would make a barrel fail. But people still find a way to dispute that...

Josh

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Barrel failures are rare, when they do occur it is usually a combination of a barrel obstruction and a double charged shell. HMB

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have personally witnessed two barrels blow up. One from mud in the barrel, the other from a wad stuck in the barrel.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Controlled tests demonstrate that something like a wad stuck in the barrel will not directly cause the barrel to blow. It could easily cause some damage to the barrel that could lead to a failure sometime later. Double charges, and these will not fit into most shells, will not result in a blown barrel but again could cause some weakness.

The best evidence I have seen suggests that guns typically blow as a result of cumulative stress over a period of time. When a gun blows up it could easily be due to some damage that happened several years prior to the failure.

Pat Ireland

14. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Well it's official...I'm convinced that nobody is going to agree no matter how many cold hard facts are presented.

Have a nice day :)

Josh

15. TOOLMAKER 251

I am with Pat 100% and Josh, I don't know how long you been around guns, but I can tell you 1st. hand I have seen many (dozens) ruined barrels and receiver's from 1874 Sharps to shotguns from one obstruction or another. I don't care about what Hatcher found, it's what I seen.

16. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

So you agree with Pat but disagree with me? You must have misread what I typed, I said a WAD wouldn't have the ability to stop enough pressure to make a shotgun fail. I've always been one of the few people who agreed with the theory that stress is what causes the guns to fail. I also believe a large amount of mud or snow stuck in the end of a barrel would cause it to build enough pressure to fail.

I also didn't say that Hatcher found that you couldn't blow up a rifle. He did in fact find that a tightly wedged obstruction such as a bullet or a cleaning patch would make them fail. But it took a LOT to make them fail.

But again, I think it's hard to make most people on this site agree unless they saw it first hand...

Josh

17. Rick Barker

Maybe the real question should be can anyone cite first hand, a gun blow up where the barrel was checked and found clear which then blew up with the next shell that was fired?

I have had bloopers with the CB wad 2 inchs behind the muzzle and I just about have to hammer the wad out to clear it. If a wad can lodge that tight in the barrel, there is no doubt in my little mind that is a dangerous problem, not to be taken lightly.

18. Rick Barker

I am sure metal stress can be a factor, but with modern metals and metal working, I think the incidents are far fewer than 30-40 years ago. Safe gun handling should include checking to see if a barrel is clear after firing it.

But on the other hand, just a few weeks ago, at a local gun club here in the metro area of Denver Colorado, a club member lost his eye shooting a Weatherby bolt action rifle. Exact details are not know by all, but story is that the when the gun was fired, the bolt or the firing pin (???) exited from the rear and struck the club member in the face. If it had not been for the live-in caretaker who found the member, the situation might have been a lot worse.

Going to be interesting to see what the cause was, metal failure, some careless action on the members part, or who knows what.

19. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

The only guns I have yet to see blow up are Kolar and Blaser. The most popular excuse from the factories is Reloads. Im with Pat. A double charge of powder in majority of wad/hull combos, will not allow the crimp to close. So the RELOAD excuse doesnt carry much weight with me. My 2c. Todd

20. high 2

high 2 Member

Give them time Todd. Not near as many of those as Krieghoffs and Perazzis. Kolars are built like tanks, they kinda move like them too. Don`t have any idea about the Blazer, look like nice guns. I sure wish there was a good explanation for some of them letting go. I had to peel one of the strips from a 12ga barrel off of a friends hand so he could let go of the gun. He tripped going over a fence and stuck the barrel into the mud and before I could stop him He stuck it into the air and pulled the trigger. I`ll never forget the sound of that!!!!!!!!!!!!! high 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
blaser shotgun blow ups
blow for the barrel and a blow for the ring saying
gun barrel blow up

shotgun barrel blockage by wad stuck

what will make a shotgun barrel blow up
which shotgun shell will blow someones head off