1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY GOOD RESTAURANTS IN SPARTA?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yukon_870, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Are there any good resturants in Sparta or in the vicinity to eat at during the Grand?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In the center of town, just around the corner from the bank is the Dynasty Chinese restaurant. Don't miss it! Try the beef with orange sauce and you'll be back, just as I am, over and over again.

Neil

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Carmichael's is great.

Matt

4. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

What kind of food does Carmichael's serve?

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

South Side BBQ is pretty good too.

Bob

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

All of the above are just great...

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Pistol City in Coulterville has a different Smorgasbord feast very night. Food is good, prices are reasonable and service is great. Easy to finr, right on the main drag thru town.

8. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Roadhouse, near Steelville is good!

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

LeeAnn and I have taken a liking to the South Side Rib house. They have good ribs and steaks, and great airconditioning:) Dan

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

yukon_870:

Carmichaels does stuff like steaks, chops, grilled salmon, etc. Compared to the other places listed it is a bit more upscale and a bit more expensive. It is still very reasonable and one of the places I always visit when I'm in Sparta.

sissy

11. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Carmichael's has prime rib, rib-eyes, filet mignon, and some other things.

Matt

12. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Thank you Sissy!

13. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Thank you Matt!

14. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Fried chicken at Carmichaels is real good along with the pork chop special. Dairy Queen is further in town for dessert.

15. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

One of the finest filets my wife and I ever had is at Valentines. About a 15-20 min drive west on 14. We have been there 4 or 5 times and it is always the same. There is a log cabin, I think Settlers Inn about 20 mins south. This place serves family style, all you can eat. Fried chicken, fish, very good deserts. You have to watch for the sign kind of hard to find.

IMHO these are the best 2 in the area short of going into St. Louis. If you want to gamble & eat, The American has one of the best buffets it and Harrahs are at Earth City on the North side of St. Louis, about an hour to hour & a half drive, don't go at rush hour.

16. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I vote with Sissy. Pretty nice place to eat.......Roger

17. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Some magazine of repute (memory or lack thereof keeps me from naming the magazine)named 17th St (maybe 17th Ave - see note on memory above)BBQ in O'Fallon as the best BBQ in the USA. They also run the concession in the events center at the Grand. I thought the meals I ate at the events center were pretty good. May run up to O'Fallon if I shoot early one day.

Bob

18. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The restaurant that John Thompson referred to as "Settler's Inn" is probably The Pioneer's Cabin in Willisville (see link above). They have good steaks. Their "specialty" is family-style meals and home made pies. It's worth the drive down. They normally aren't open on Mondays, but last year they were for the two Mondays during the Grand.

Carmichael's is good. As mentioned, it's Sparta's "up-scale" restaurant, but shooter's attire (shorts and t-shirts) is always appropriate. They usually have a reduced menu ( 3 - 4 entrees) during the Grand.

You'll probably see everyone you know at South Side Ribs. They were so deluged with shooter's the first year that they added an additional room on for last year.

The Mexican restaurant (Tequila's) across from Wal-Mart is good.

The meal I had at the Event Center (17th Street Bar & Grill) was good, too.

I haven't eaten at the Roadhouse (Rt. 150 at Bremen, north of Chester), but I plan to try it this year. Based on Mr. Thompson's suggestion, I may have to try Valentine's also (it's in Freeburg on Rt. 13).

For the two years that I've visited the area I can say that I haven't had a bad meal. I've had some that were OK, and there are some places that I wouldn't choose to go back to, but I think that the ones I (and the other's) have mentioned are worth repeat visits.

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Carmicheals, Southside BBQ, Pistol City, Tequilas are all good places. Sure there are more to be found...

20. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

According to the Food Network, the best BBQ in the US is in a restaurant on Main street in Murphysboro. The owner has won numerous BBQ championships. It is about 30 minutes from Sparta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.