1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any good goose recipes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Zuzax, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

I want to smoke a Canadian Goose in the Weber on Christmas, does anyone have a good recipe, cooking temp, how long per pound, etc?

Merry Christmas!

George

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have the same question, only I'm not likely to smoke it on a Weber.

I have only the breast meat.

3. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

No worries, all good.........

4. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

George I smoke a lot.You can make a salt brine that will float an egg.Soak goose in this overnight,then rinse with tap water.
    I use hickory bark,not wood.Smoke at 180 or 190 degrees.
    as for the time depends on weather temp. outside,size of bird etc.

Now, I don't like the salt brine method.
    you can buy Morton's Sugar cure.I use this.Just rub the bird down with this inside an out,not too much.Let set for about 30 mins.Then put in smoker.

If you smoke at 150 or 160 you have a good chance of the meat spoiling.
    Go with 180 degrees or 190 degrees.You can go 200 or more,but the done product will be some what tuff.

If you have a large goose smoke at 180 or 190 for about 5 to 6 hours.Then take bird out and put in an electric roaster for 3 to 4 hours at 250 or 300 degrees or until falling apart.Add water to roaster about a pint.

Bocephas

5. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

If you have just the breast meat, flatten it out with a meat mallet, dip it in milk, then Bisquick. Fry in grease, salt and pepper, cover with white Country gravy and enjoy. This is a really good way to prepare it.

6. white rattler

white rattler Member

The best one I know is the rock in the pot. The trouble with cooking a goose is you don't know what you have until you go to serve it. Big is old and old is tough. Small is full of pin feathers. I gave up eating them years ago. I now buy tame geese and B.B.Q. them and never have a bad one. Trevor Dawe.

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

If you have just the breast (not filleted from the bone), pin bacon to the breast with toothpicks. Place on grill. When the breast begins to get grey looking, indicating it is beginning to cook turn it over for a few minutes. Eat it blood rare. You can marinate before coking if you like. Serve with a heavy red wine such as a cab, merlot or shirah.

Same works for ducks. Beware over-cooking. Too much game is over cooked and it gets tough.

HBT

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

Also, Beware of steel shot. Caps are going for about $600 in white and $1000 in gold. Trevor Dawe.

9. hogpwrrr

hogpwrrr TS Member

The best way to fix SKY CARP is to give it to someone you don"t like. Merry Christmas.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Stew with a brick. When cooked, trash goose, and eat the brick.....

11. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

For boned breasts I use A soy sauce base marinade. (ginger soy works well) There are some good ones on the market. FIRST!!!!...I use a small hand held metal detector to be sure there is no steel shot in it. I tell everyone that I might have not found it all and to use their front teeth first to bite for shot. Cut the breasts into one inch cubes...check again for shot holes! Remove all silver and fat....Marinate the night before, skewer it and broil or grill 3 minutes, turn and broil or grill another 3 minutes. 5 to 6 minutes tops for total time. Serve immediately. Makes nice hor dorves or a meal with salad.

If you want the recipe for pulled pork/goose (sandwich) let me know and I'll repost it.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

How about a recipe for Goose Chili??

13. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Sky carp - LMAO! Goose is pretty nasty unless you dress it up. Here's my favorite:

Smother both sides of goose breast(s) with:
    Stubbs rub barb- e- Q; garlic powder; Mrs. Dash; Cajun seasoning;salt and pepper.

Let sit in fridge for 2 days to tenderize & absorb seasoning.

Coat with olive oil. Cook three minutes per side on grill.

14. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

George: I love to cook on my weber charcoal grill and have been doing so for 30+ years and if you want to cook a goose smoked you need to use a brinkman smoker with liquid to HELP keep it moist.The problem in the weber is it dries out the meat.The best recipe is to cut the breast into chunks and wrap in bacon with some S+P and smoke this while you grill it! You can marinate the legs and thighs in italian salad dressing and grill.Give it a try and enjoy

15. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the good information. This will be my frist attempt and a Weber is all I have (my Brinkman water smoker is 2000 miles away). If I goof it up then the Woodford Reserve will make me 'think' it was good!

Merry Christmas,

George

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you get a young bird, you can't beat simply plucking and roasting like a turkey. Thats the best. Works on old birds too if you roast them long enough and don't let them dry out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.