1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any GMV Superstar Mechanics?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoot100, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoot100

shoot100 TS Member

Our club (Yarmouth Gun Club-Yarmouth Iowa) is having problems with our GMV Superstar Trap. It will start up and load a target but will not release it. We have tried different push buttons, but there is no power to the switch. We have checked all wiring and connections but all seem OK. The transformer checks OK as it is putting out 24V. You can push the manual override button on the relay and the trap will cycle a target and reload. The limited instructions we have say to push the button on the relay and if it doesn't release a target to replace the relay, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Matt Schuler

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call Shyda's in Lebanon PA. They are one of the best resources for help on these machines.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The GMV throwing arm is held in place by an electromagnet.

Target release occurs when the circuit supplying power to this is broken.

You know the circuit is intact - the arm holds, and releases when the over-ride is pushed.

Sounds like the release wire circuit (which grounds out the power to the magnet, I believe) has an 'open' point in it. Check for broken wires or connections that are corroded.

Normally these machines start to 'pin wheel' - throwing targets non-stop. Often this is just accumulation of broken target parts/dust on the magnet. Clean it and things should be fine.

Otherwise, call Shyda's

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Shyda's or call Dale Stockdale, he's a hike from you but still in Iowa. Good luck, Bob

5. shoot100

shoot100 TS Member

Thanks guys, HSLDS it had started to pinwheel late in the season. We have found that we need to clean the machine and tighten the brake. We have had mouse problems before. Last year I had to repair some connections and heat shrink some wires, but all looks good now. If it warms up some I will check the wiring again and we will call someone for help. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep em coming. Us little clubs can use all the help we can get. Thanks, Matt

6. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Talk to Dale Stockdale. www.stockdalegunclub.com for info. D Winter

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I looked at the owners manual for our GMVs. They keep coming back to an open wire in the release chord.

If you have a V/Ohm meter you can check for continuity in the chord across the two plug ends when the button is pushed.

To verify you can try to release the target from the plug on the front of the machine. It is low voltage here (24V), so you are reasonably safe...
    1) you can un-bend a paper clip and insert it into the two plug blade holes on the front of the machine base (where the release chord plugs in) - BE CAREFUL - you will be just in front of and under the release arm. I hold the paper clip with needle nose pliers - insulated and lets me get off to the side of the machine.
    2) Or you can open the top of the box where this plug resides and 'short' across the two terminals with a screw driver or the two arms of needle nose pliers - again BE CAREFUL - you are at the business end of the machine.

8. shoot100

shoot100 TS Member

HSLDS, I already checked the push buttons with my Fluke. All of them ohm out OK. I don't have any voltage at the twist lock socket where the cord plugs in. I have a spare relay to try, but I don't think that is it. When I get a chance probably this wekend I am going to check all connections again. I think one of the other owners was gong to try to contact Steve Crow. We deal with him on our supplies and also bought our 2 traps from him. If any of these things don't work out we will try some of the other contacts that people have listed. Thanks for the help, and if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to reply as we welcome all the help we can get.
    Matt

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

If the 'over-ride' button works, then the relay should be OK...

If you go the GMV's web-site you can down load the manuals for each machine - they have diagnostic logic paths as well as some schematics for the electronics.

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Electricity is NOT my strong suit, but shouldn't you have 24 volts at the plug on front?? How else is the chord going to work. I know one time we had aggravation of a similar nature and it was in the voice call system. good luck, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can you shoot100 mg nuncyta

gmv superstar manual

gmv superstar repairs

gmv superstar wiring manual