1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Garand Experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flabigpapa, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Need some Help on Value of this M1 Garand..Thanks for Any Info.
    flabigpapa_2008_0303913.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303914.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303915.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303916.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303917.jpg

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

any chance the muzzle looks like this?? the number is just a little high!!Grubby

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

You can go to the CMP website and compare your gun to the different grade descriptions and get close idea of what similar guns are priced at.

rm

4. flabigpapa

Grubby, If this Helps
    flabigpapa_2008_0303918.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303919.jpg

5. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

thought you might have a gas trap model, the number was just 2,595 to high...

I has been through a rebuild at some time, but 99.9% have been...

you still have a fine battle weapon made before December 1938.... like they say, the're not making them anymore.... Grubby

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

033788 - serial number on my M1 issue rifle 50+ years ago LOL

7. flabigpapa

Serial Number is August 1940 with Mirror image..or Reverse Stamp barrel 10-41

Have been Told... Rare Gun..Was looking for Info. Thanks, Bart

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

9. flabigpapa

Thanks for the Info..
    flabigpapa_2008_0303920.jpg

10. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Now thats an assault weapon.I don't shoot mine enough.We have about 3 Garand matches a year at my club and they are always fun.

Darr

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The stock looks to be "refinished", which devalues the rifle somewhat. It would be worth seeing how many SA (Springfield Armory) prefixes are on the parts. If they all are, you have one of the more valuable ones.

Probably $800-$1000 depending on if it's a mixture of parts or not.

They are real quite a rifle. I just love the trigger on them.

Bob Falfa

12. Gbot

Gbot TS Member

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but i was wondering if anyone would know

what year my m1 would be, as the serial is over 7 mil. Had it for over

25 years. Thanks. Gregg.
    gbot_2010_0611.jpg

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Probably about 1984-85. That is a Springfield, Inc. reciever....

14. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Based on condition, I would rate the gun in the $650.00
    tp $700.00 range.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Nothing like it!

16. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

To determine exact value, you would need to disassemble and catalog every single part. Sometimes single parts are worth a lot of money. I sold several winchester safety's for $75 each. Your barrel would have to be gauged at the muzzle and chamber, and your muzzle looks pretty worn from the pic. Any winchester part is worth more than most other parts, but there are guys looking to put mixmaster rifles like yours back to all original parts. The pay extra for H&R and IH parts too. A stock with cartouche can be worth more than the rifle. Check out Culver's website. I think someone there may have a download of a form to log your parts, but you may need help to identify them as to which year each part came from. http://www.jouster.com/forums/index.php
    Here's a website where you can still buy depot storage garands. http://odcmp.com/
    The prices there are about what you should expect for your garand, unless you have some collectable parts on it, and it being an early serial number in itself may be collectable.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is a collectors associatio website that has a lot of good info.

Google is your friend.

HM

18. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Magnumshot has it exactly. One thing I saw was what appears to be "NM" on the op rod. If that is so, will change value for certain. For a pre-war receiver, $750 might be a little on the light side. Check out CMP and also Garand Collectors. That will get you started down the right path.

Magnumshot, you got any WRA parts? ;) Trying to re-set my rack grade back to factory.

HJH

19. flabigpapa

Thanks for All the Info.

PAR8HED, Thanks your Accurate Observation of the Obvious..Yes Pre-War and Filled with "NM" markings...Inherited from Mothers second husband...One of The Choosen Few...And Damm Proud of it...Proud of the Rifle too..yes he rubbed gun stock oil on it yearly.

Also have the Sportsman 58 he had with Him on Christmas Day Hunting when He Passed...Damm We Should All be So Lucky. Thanks For All The Info. Shoot Well..Shoot Often with Family and or Good Friends..As the Clock Ticks for All of Us. Bart

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

flabigpapa. I am not an expert but I have all of Scott Duff's books. Aug 1940 is the correct date for the receiver. I am looking at the data sheet for a

SA 56745 rifle

date manufactured August 1940

barrel side marking: S-A 8-40 [upside down]

The barrel dates closely followed the receiver dates during that period. Your barrel date does not match the receiver so not likely original. I can see from your photos that the rifle is arsenal rebuilt. The rear handguard clip is wrong, it is sheet metal, should be milled with a groove down the middle. The stock ferrule should also be milled, yours is sheet metal. The stamping on the end of the buttstock is certainly not SA, probably a local arsenal stamp.
    The rear sight knobs are not original. A NM operating rod is really not unusual, won't add to the value. Looks like you have a typical arsenal rebuilt rifle, maybe rebuilt a number of times. Seems odd that it has the 10-41 barrel as the ammo was corrosive during WW2. When those rifles were rebuilt, they were disassembled and all the parts were gauged and put in bins. Then on the other end of the plant they were reassembled with the parts taken from those bins at random. So the parts were all mixed up. They paid no attention to manufacturer stamps.
    The receiver looks in nice shape. The lower the serial number the more desirable to some. Don't know about value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.