1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any freight experts on ts.com?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by high 2, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. high 2

high 2 Member

Looking at buying a cnc bed mill from a gentleman in Vermont. Any recommendations on companies or individuals that will haul LTL. Looking at 5000lbs and 1600 miles. Larry

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I had a 120 ton iron worker shipped from Minnesota to Texas a few years ago, it was shipped on Conway freight lines, I had them leave it on the dock and had a machine rigger go pick it up and install it where I wanted it

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

4. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

I happen to work for FedEx Freight as a driver so I guess you know what I should say! I will, however, say that it is a decision you need to make based on cost, timeframe involoved for distance traveled, etc. To promote my employer I will say this: We frequently hear from our customers that we have less damage than most other carriers & when we do damage something, we are better at handling the claim. We live in a glass house so I am not throwing any rocks at any other carriers, just passing on what I hear quite often. FedEx will probably be a bit more expensive, but we have pretty tight time tables & delivery commiment dates.

Whoever you decide to use, let me say this: far too often, expensive equipment like this is shipped just bolted to a couple wooden 4x4s with no crating around it........DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN! Have the shipper build a proper crate around it to protect it the wat it should be. When uncrated, all it takes is something to tip over onto it, or bumped by a forklift & things get broken off, bent, smashed, etc.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Expert?? No not even close but R+L Carriers and Con-Way are two of the better LTL Freight carriers. Then there is Yellow Freight, Roadway and Fed Ex. I'm a commercial truck driver myself and the first two companies have pretty good reputations with the sort of thing you are inquiring about. That said there are also lots of independent freight haulers that can do the job and possibly cheaper. I won't recommend any particular ones though. Knowing what I know about the industry, I would try R+L or Con-Way first. My 2 cents.

The kind of haul you are describing requires an almost dedicated trailer for the haul. The reason I say this, is this is not freight that can or even should be moved or unloaded until it reaches it's destination. Often the LTL freight companies move and unload the freight several times at drop terminals before the freight reaches its final destination. The type of equipment you are wanting moved may best be hauled by a flat bed or conestoga trailer.

6. high 2

high 2 Member

I sure don't want it moved from truck to truck, but couldn't afford tying up a truck for this small load. I've got a 1 ton diesel and flat bed trailer. Just hate to do a 3200 mile turn around. Probably be looking at $1500 plus for fuel. And when I'm not at the shop, I'm not making money. I'm going to have my left wrist operated on in October and can't work for three weeks. Might go get it myself.

7. JEB

JEB Active Member

Google LTL freight brokers. You will come up with a number of firms. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with. Check on cosy, equipment,insurance and tarping, it must be well tarped and tied down. You should be able to share a flat bed, however it may require a rigger to load. I am in the machinery business, and have shipped hundreds of machines across the country and beyond. Very few problems. Any questions call me at 928-443-1100.

John Bergman

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yep, would recommend a freight broker. Sometimes they have contacts to O/O's looking for a back haul to get them home out west. They may have a few pickup's on the way, but at least your item never leaves the trailer till it gets to you. Back hauls usually, are at a lower rate. More than likely cheaper, and less hassle for you. Get several quotes from different brokers. They usually have different lanes they work with, along with certain companies specializing in those areas of the country. Good luck Larry, Jon.

P.S. Now your moving to high tech?

9. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

YRC can do what they call a sealed divider,you put your freight in the nose of a trailer and they put a wall behind it. they specialize in long haul ltl. your freight wont be moved from trailer to trailer

10. ctreay

ctreay Member

How about flying to Vermont and renting a truck from an outfit like Leaseway or Hertz.

ctreay

11. high 2

high 2 Member

I'm going to fly up and look at the machine. I'm not going to spend that kind of cash without looking at it. I just figure it could be hauled back cheaper on a LTL . Maybe not, that's why I asked for some input. Thanks Larry

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but we do a whole lot of shipping across the US for our products and Conway is one of the companies we use in addition to our internal fleet. Call them up and tell them what you need and they will give you a quote on it.

What you have going in your favor is time. (i think) If you are flexible and can wait a couple of weeks, there is a good chance your item can get on a with another partial load and save you lots of money.

The item needs to be packed such that a forklift can handle it and of course you will want to insure it appropriately.

13. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

You can go onto uship.com, and have people bid on you shipment. You can pick any bid, you don't have go with the cheapest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.