1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Ford Ranger owners out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I am in the market for a used sm. pickup truck. I like the looks of the Ford Ranger. I need a 4 wheel drive and prefer the extended cab. I recently was looking at an 06 with the 4.0L V6. I'm looking at 06 or newer. Anything I should be careful about when checking one of these out? I also like the Tacoma's but they want too much $$ for them. Thanks in advance, Randy Price

2. blazer1

blazer1 TS Member

I just purchased an 06 XLT extended cab, 4.0 engine with only 17K miles, its outstanding, love it. As a matter of fact I have 2010 F-250 I now leave in my driveway. FYI, I paid $14k of the truck a couple of weeks ago.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have owned several in the past. They are very good little trucks. The 4.0 V6 they use is very peppy. I was a bit disappointed in MPG at about 19-21 but its better than the 13mpg my full size gets. We just bought my 17 year old a 2003 2wd. You won't be disappointed unless your a very large fella. They are a bit cramped inside for larger people.

Matt

4. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

I have had several of them and loved every one. As the above post says if youre tall they may cramp you. I bought the extended cab so I could recline the seat a little to help. My grandkids loved the little back seats too. I have the Explorer Sport Trac now and its supposed to be the 4 door cab version of the ranger. Its a great little truck! Not a bunch of room to haul stuff but you have to compromise I guess, my grandkids are bigger now and I needed room to haul them too.
    Best of luck with your truck.

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

Ranger wise, you won't be disappointed with the SOHC engine. Whatever you do, stay away from the GMC Canyon. Total junk, horrible mileage with the 4 cyl, 5 spd. and can barely get out of its own shadow. I don;;t understand why they bothered to put the 5th gear in it, since you can only use it going downhill with a tailwind. Otherwise, 4th is overdrive.

6. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for the comments. Keep 'em comming! Randy

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Buy a Toyota, they never brakedown!!! Break=em all. Jeff

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I was looking for a used one for almost a year and found that I was better off buying new with 0% interest and the A plan deal. The last Ranger that I owned was a 91' with a 2300 (4cyl) and it had over 280,000 miles on it when I sold it. I never had that engine apart aside from putting a timing belt on it.

The 2300 is an excellent engine and I get almost 30mpg on the highway...but, it is a slug. I'm not a 4.0L fan, but if the 3.0L is still available, that is a great engine.

This is my 2010 and is completel bare. The only thing it has is AC (even has crank windows). I installed my own cruise control ($210 at "The Cruse Control Store" in Saginaw Michigan) and put a kick ass JVC stereo with 4 6x8 Pioneer speakters for under $200 out the door (on sale at Best Buy).

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_3027.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'd like to hear even more. Regards, Randy

10. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I bought one with an extended cab a couple of years ago and really liked it. I bought it new in late December and the local dealers had a bunch of them on their lots. I won't post how big a discount I got by buying "last year's" model in a color and not trying to trade something in. As soon as the dealer ask if I minded a yellow one (actually my 1st choice) I knew I was going to make out. He also offered me a better deal if I financed it thru him -- which I did and after I made 2 payments the 3rd one paid it off.

The only thing I didn't really like was how light the back-end felt but once I put a cap on it and a little weight over the wheels it was fine.

Mileage was good but not great. I sold it with about 45K on it and never had a problem.

11. lostandout

lostandout Member

i bought a 92 in 95 with 40,000 on it still driving it with 258,000 on it still going strong

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

FIB---I think we are starting to see a pattern here.

Matt

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My dads 5.3l 2001 chevy 1500 ext cab 4wd gets the same mileage as my moms 2001 4.0 ranger 4x4 ext cab with about 100 more horsepower and leg room to boot.

14. blade819

blade819 Banned User Banned

I have a 2006 Ranger 4x4 extended cab V-6. I love it except it gets about the same mileage as the F-150 V8. 64,000 miles and still running strong.

15. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

There good trucks I have a 2003 4.0 offroad package. The MPG could be better. The 4.0 has alot of power the 4 cly I hear lacks a little,The most expensive fix I have in mine is a $60 vaccume leak/162,000 miles

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I bought an '86 Ranger 4X4 new. It had a 2.9L V-6 and a 5 speed stick, manual locking hubs and a vinyl bench seat. The gas mileage on the highway was about 23 MPG and 18 around town. The 4WD, when guided with my head and not my foot, would go just about anywhere. It was a great hunting, trapping and fishing vehicle, if you're not afraid of scratches in your paint its smaller size will get you back into some real out-of-the-way places.

I liked it (and used it) so much that I drove it off the dealers lot new and 15 years later I drove it to the junkyard for its final journey.

Yes, I did buy another. It was a used 96 XLT with a 4.0 V6 and an automatic. This one had the XLT interior package and an electric solenoid 4WD transfer switch. I HATED that solenoid-it would hang up and not engage when you needed it most and I got stuck a few times because it wouldn't go into 4WD. The gas mileage was only around 17-18 MPG, the same as the new 04 F150 4X4 that I traded it for. A growing family dictated the larger and more spacious truck.

If you don't mind the smaller cab I think you'll like a Ranger, especially if you drive solo or have a single passenger.

17. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

I have a 95 that I bought in 02. It is extended cab 4x4 with 4.0. It has 265,000 and still has the same plugs as when I bought it at 120,000. The only part I've replaced on the motor is the starter. Mpg is 17-20. And still runs smooth and quiet. Being a part time farmer and full time construction worker this truck has seen some abuse! Including towing a 3500lb bass boat and hauling wood, seed, etc. To the maxx. Best truck I ever owned. Enjoy. Mike.

Oh, all the rangers I have owned (about 7) the first thing I'd do is switch to manual hubs. Its alittle pricey at 200 bucks but the autos will let u down. They have plastic splines that strip out!

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I have a 2009 4.0, extended cab. Great truck - gets about 24mpg if I keep it below 69mph on the wide open road. I love this truck!!!! Drive it to all the big gun shows across the country.
    Never a problem. No oil consumption. tough little Bah-stard.
    Mike

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

We use one here at the shop for a "go getter" and general errand (Post Office, UPS, hardware store etc...)vehicle. Its a 98 with a 4 cyl. 5 speed. 173,000 miles and I just put the first clutch in it!! Great little truck.

Bob

20. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Look at the Mazdas. Save some $$$ by bypassing the "Ford" brand. The reason the Ranger has turned around in recent years is because they're actually Mazdas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2009 ford ranger trap