1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Feedback on Kirk Merrington, Gunsmith????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SevenMaryThree, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have an 80s vintage Beretta 626E SxS that is in dire need of a competent gunsmith. Long story short, Williams Gunsight of Davison, Michigan decided to hot blue the barrels (after I specified rust blued) and screwed them all to hell.

The gun was subsequently sent back to Beretta where the fixed the problem of the monobloc separating from the barrels, but now the bottom rib under the chambers has liberated itself. The ejector cocking arms are not catching and the gun is functioning as an ejector, and the second barrel is not always picked up after firing the left barrel first.

I called Cole's and they said they no longer do any kind of rib work as the gentleman who did it has retired due to health reasons. He gave me Kirk Merrington's number out of Kerrville, TX. I explained everything to Kirk and he said he could fix it all and to box it up and send it off.

Any feedback on Kirk's work, prices, & turnaround?? Google turns up next to nothing.

Thanks,

2. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Arts gun shop

you are looking at 700.00 no matter where you go.

3. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

If Kirk's was recommended by Cole's.....I'd not worry.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

"If Kirk's was recommended by Cole's.....I'd not worry.

ditto

5. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Re: Williams - At the time I lived about 20 minutes south of them. I thought, incorrectly, that a simple rust blue would be pretty tough to screw up.

I will defaecate solid gold bullion if these repairs run close to $700.

6. 7815wayne

7815wayne Member

Kirk Merrigan is one of the most respected gunsmiths in America. He would be capable of doing this job as he works on upper end double shotguns. He was trained in England and worked for the best makers of that country. I heard from a person attending the vintage shotgun shoot in Rhode Island that Kirk is ill and not taking in work at this time. Wayne

7. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I used Merrington for an English sleeving of Jeffery.He was trained in the U K and does outstanding work.
    You can rely on him.

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

When I talked to him today he sounded chipper than ever and made no hesitation in telling me to send my gun to him. Looks like I'll get it boxed up this week.

The barrels and top & bottom rib are solid. The only thing askew is a 3" section of bottom rib right under the chambers. Maybe I'll take a pic of it in a little bit. I'm sure the combination of Williams dipping it in a hot tank and Beretta's subsequent pounding of the monobloc into the barrels it what did it.

I'm hopeful Kirk does not have to completely separate the barrels. I'm good with a little cosmetic blemishing given the location of the repair.

Here is the gun in question. Red pad by my Broseph Tron.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kirk merriman shotgun barrels
kirk merrington
kirk merrington gun repair

kirk merrington gunsmith

kurt merrington gunsmith
shotgun monobloc problem