1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any experiences with Kahr K9?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

Do any of you guys own a Kahr K9 and what have been your experiences with it? I found a very nice used one at my local gunshop on Friday. It seemed very well made. The only drawback was that it had a VERY long trigger pull. The pistol comes with the case and 2 mags for $ 475.00. Is this a decent price?
    Thanks in advance, FIB.

2. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yes,I have a great one with alot of work done to it. fitted barrel, custom stippled grip, beveled mag well, it is a hell of a shooter. very accurate for a small package.

[​IMG]

3. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Have never owned a K9...Have shot a friends. I currently own a P9 and a CW9. All are good weapons. They all have a long trigger pull as do most DAO's. Never any problems. The K series always seemed heavy to me, and for me would not be comfortable to carry. A gun thats not comfortable you tend to leave at home where its useless. hope this helps. 475 sounds a bit high to me.

4. dirk

dirk Member

I own two in 9mm, a CM and a CW. I also have a CM45 which is my favorite. All three are great shooters and I have experienced no problems with any of them. This after firing a thousand rounds through each. Kahr does recommend firing a couple of hundred rounds thru their pistols before carrying or depending on them for self-defense. This is a common sense approach that all manufacturers should recommend. Additionally, fire the rounds from the pistol you intend use when carried. Settle on a round that you feel comfortable with and one that has a reputation as a good performer using performance criteria established by the FBI.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I own a P40. Always liked it. I think the only dao with a short trigger is the s&w mp series.

Imho the. 40 is a handful, I'd get the 9...

6. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

My wife carries a K9 and it shoots very well, I carry it on occasion usually for MC. The trigger is long but if you shoot it as a revolver trigger and keep that in mind it is a nice smooth long trigger. If you want to shoot it as a short trigger you might have problems with it. But then everyone should practice with a revolver for trigger control.

Nice gun but it is heavy, and I wish I would have waited for the lighter one. But then the lighter one I am sure would buck you more. Give and take.

Corbon's are the best carry ammo for it. IMO

CM

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

FIB........ This is copied from another post here.....

Another vote for the Kahr CW9, in 9mm. They are VERY reliable, Very accurate, Very well made (Here in the good old USA), Very fairly priced, and, for me, just the right size. The trigger is the only knock I had about this gun. I didn't care for the long, stiff pull back to the trigger and the 7lb trigger pull, while very crisp, was just too much for my style of shooting.... I just couldn't take it. I knew what it needed so I looked around to try to find a gunsmith that would work on the trigger for me to get what I wanted, but to no avail. Seems most smiths don't really care to change, or modify, the action and trigger on this gun (probably due to liability?) So, I took on the job myself. I just completed a complete trigger and action job on this little gun, and I've got to tell you, the difference it made is amazing. Now, the pull back to the trigger is silky smooth and has been reduced down to 5#. Once it gets to the trigger, the trigger crisply lets off right at 41/2#. This has made the gun, in my mind, perfect. Easy to conceal, and very shooter friendly should I need it. Don't be mislead regarding the price of this gun. It's as well made as many of the higher dollar guns, and I would put its reliability up against any of the off the shelf autos in this class. You can surely spend more, but, dollar for dollar, this one gets my vote...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I tried liking the Kahrs. I really, really tried. My experience mirrored what you will find reported on most other forums - they are really hit or miss. The polymer guns seem to be more problematic.

I had a K9 that was extremely ammo sensitive and never did run 100%.

For me a self defense gun has to have three things...BOOM, BOOM, BOOM...every time, without fail, with whatever I put in it and even under less than ideal circumstances. Kahrs just can't do that.

9. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks for all the responses. I'm a little suprised at some of the responses as they seemed very highly rated and dependable. Regards, FIB

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Got one in my pocket now. Makes lots of noise and makes holes where you point it. I've only shot it once, a hundred rounds and don't like the trigger but then again I shoot a Precision MX pull trigger at 3 lbs and no creep, so the Kahr trigger is tough for me. Once I got used to it I can shoot it pretty good.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Who needs a target trigger for bad breath range? I like mine, no safety, just a revolver like trigger.

12. wk4036

wk4036 Member

If I remember right you can switch to the elite trigger and it will shorten the length of pull.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nah. It's safer this way.

14. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

FIB,
    Would would you seem surprised that they are highly reliable and dependable, should a quality handgun be those things?

15. FIB

FIB Member

Cathing Chrome, you misunderstood. I THOUGHT they were a great gun but some of the guys on here didn't care for them.

16. Bridger

Bridger Member

$475 with two mags is a good price if the gun Is in nice shape. Local dealer has a well used K9 with one mag for $550 but he may have it for awhile at that price. Most of the K9's seem to have the NYPD trigger which is 1/8 longer than the Elite trigger but still very smooth. The long trigger is to me an asset in a self defense firearm that doesn't have a safety. This isn't a target pistol. There is a Kahr Arms forum (do a Google search) that has lots of information on this gun.

17. marsingbob

marsingbob Active Member

I have owned an early P9 for years, and some experience shooting many of the others. Here are my comments:
    1. Lots of complaints, lots of enthusiastic owners. If they are good, the are very good, if they are bad they can be awful.
    2. Factory support not good.
    3. The company is almost certainly owned by the Moonies church, altho a son of Sun Yung Moon is the supposed owner. May bother you, may not.
    4. For a DAO handgun I think the trigger is pretty good.
    5. The K series seem to have a better reputation that the P series, both generate few complaints than the more compact models.
    6. More recent guns seem better than the older guns.
    I have a love-hate relationship with my P9. It is great to shoot, great to carry. It has never been fully 100% reliable. I put it away about three years ago. One of these days I am going to pull it out and work on it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
custom kahr cw9
custom kahr k9
is a kahr k9 a good personal defense gun

kahr k9

kahr k9 beveled magwell

kahr k9 elite
shooting a kahr k9
tips for shooting kahr k9