1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any experience with Hodgdon Longshot Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I have been shooting Hodgdon Clays and really like the powder, clean and reliable. However, I play some games at my club where we shoot beyond the 27 yard line and I need a little more velocity to break the targets so far back. I'm considering Hodgdon Longshot shows 32.1 gr. yields 1420 ft/s w/ 9,200 psi for 1 1/8 oz., win209, WAA12 wad. Anyone have experience with Longshot or recommend alternatives for further back?

Mark

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Mark: I shoot 28 grains in a Federal paper with 1 1/4 from 50-60 yards.Don

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Sportshot - Showing off your smarts again, huh?? That's right off the Hodgdon website. Maybe since he's loading 1 1/8 you're not as familiar??

Mark - we use Longshot for our steel loads due to the low pressures. I've never loaded any lead loads because with such low pressure they have to be pretty fast before the pressure is high enough to ensure a good burn. I do know I hear a lot of game shooters using Longshot.

Scott

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He is correct, it is off the Hodgdon site bit birdtracker is right on. Back it down to 28-29 grns and you will be happier

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Longshot is not a powder that you can safely load down for lighter loads. There are some cautions against doing so. If you need the info, contact Hodgdon and I'm sure they will advise you to stay with published loads and not load it down.

That said, it's a good powder when used properly, but I'm not sure I need 1420 fps to start with. I can get sufficient downrange velocity with Unique, WSF, or similar powders. 1250 or 1300 fps is plenty. The velocity out at 60 yards isn't that much different to make me want to punish myself. If you do use the Longshot, be sure to wear ear protection.

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

at distance it is retained energy that breaks targets. better to go with 1 1/4 oz of #6 or #5. More retained energy at the longer ranges. Excess speed quite often leads to blown patterns. You can use the rhino rolers (win silvers)out to about 35 yds behind house with reliability. lots of luck and have fun.
    Ps I always use a different hull(brand or color) for each different load. It makes for a lot easier shell identification, especially when shooting at night.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I loaded up this load last night:
    Federal Gold Medal Hull, 32.5 Longshot, Downrange Windjammer Wad, 1 1/4oz #5s
    with Rio Primer. During the shoot it was windy targets were climbing fast and coming down fast, It worked great for 3rd shot pick-ups on the 3 man buddies.

I never had to shoot off last night as we won on the line.

I primarly loaded it for the long shoot-offs as it is milder than using the AA hull, and the Windjammer Wad softens it up. I don't mind the noise as I wear ear protection, it really is not bad.

I really like the load on the small container of Longshot.

32 grains of Longshot and 1 1/8th oz #6s,Rio Primer, Blue Duster Wad, AA Hull.
    It is a fast load about 1420 if my memory serves me right. And it patterns very
    good and tight.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Excessive noise is an understatement. Only time neighbors complained, was when a shooter was using Longshot powder....

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Sporty -

Sorry, I don't have a SAAMI manual, nor do I study the reloading data from the powder manufacturers.

I do however have enough sense to take a look at the data that is available in order to validate it as accurate. The powder companies publish the data both on the internet and in printed form as a service to those of us who purchase their products.

I was just surprised that given your obvious expertise on shotshell ballistics that you would be in the dark about high speed, low pressure loads.

Scott

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I use it for my hunting loads.

1-1/4 ounces of lead shot, usually 5's, WAA12F114 Wad, 30 grains of Longshot, Winchester primer in a Remington hull.

That should be right about 1380 fps

I've never patterned it, but it seems to be deadly on painted Chinese chickens.

pheasantmaster, whose opinion I value, says his pattern testing indicates Longshot does not pattern well. I will have to take his word for it for now. Until my stock runs out, that's what I'll be using for hunting loads.

Like I said, it kills pheasants very dead.

11. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Thanks for the feedback, i was interested in the velocity with such a low pressure, i expected that to mean lower kick but a long burn which goes with the noise many of you noted. i used green dot years ago for hunting but remember it as very dirty
    i'll keep looking

Mark

12. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

It is one very very dirty powder. It shoots well, but leaves the barrels very dirty. I like it for shooting doves at 50 plus yards .

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

From my limited experience with it, it is LOUD, dirty, and kicks more than I want a load to kick. Most of the guy's that used it when it first came out didn't buy a second container.

The best results for the really long shots were with either 4756 with 1-1/4 or Blue Dot 1-3/8. Use 5's.

You state that you shoot beyond the 27 yard line, if it was me, and I'm talking about from the 27 to approx. 40 yards back, I would use either Winchester Super-handicaps or Remington Nitro's with 7 1/2 shot. I would not use the Sporting Clay version of these shells as they have more recoil than you need to take.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hodgdon longshot
hodgdon longshot powder recipes

longshot powder experience

longshot powder for steel shot

steel shot loads with longshot powder
steel shot with longshot powder
steelshot loads with longshot

what is a good reload for pheasants useing longshot powder