1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any electricians out there??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by neofight, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

I have a Hotsprings spa that gave up the ghost and the once 101 degree water turned to a skating pond. I popped the cover off and looked at the heater circuit board and spotted a flash of black soot under what appeared to be one of three relays, circuit breakers or whatever.

I have a cheapie a/c tester that i attached to the green ground wire and the other lead to one of the hot wires. I get a light on indicating 120v on both the black and white wires. The tech at Hotsprings tells me i should clip on to both white and black, not the ground wire and i should get 240v. How in the hell can i get a reading on voltage when the circuit is not completed by my not hooking up to ground?

There must be something missing here, probably a few brain cells on my part. The heater runs on 240V, as does the main pump motor. Can you set me straight here??I don't have anyone near here who does spa repairs, so i am on my own. Th...th.......th.....thanks. JB

2. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Read the 2 hot legs to the load. If you read them to ground,they can be backfeeding thru the load (heater) and each will read 115 volts even if one leg is out. (blown fuse,etc). Reading the hot legs gives you voltage to the load,which is called "potential". The reading to ground will cause one to miss-diagnose the problem..Do you have a wiring diagram for it? Paul in Virginia

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Not really.I'm not an electician by trade,but that is how to test if you have 220vs..Done it,the man is right

Doug H.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The circuit is completed.

Ground is in the middle of the 240. So white to ground is 120, black to ground also 120.

120 + 120 =240.

Link for you to browse.

HM

5. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

See my post above. You can measure for 240V by checking hot to ground ONLY if you take the wires off the load (heater and pump motor). Don't argue or debate it! Just measure the voltage on the two hot legs!! Otherwise,look up the meaning of "backfeeding".....Paul in Virginia

6. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

JB-PM sent.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Paul is correct. Ignore the ground and measure as he told you to do. Otherwise you would need to isolate the load to get a valid reading.

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

Holmes was right when he said to Watson: "All will be revealed!" I checked the black and white leads and there is nada, zippo, zero voltage. The power coming in to the unit registers 120v and 240v. Looks like a new heater circuit board is the ticket.

Thanks to all for your help.

9. quartering

quartering Active Member

don't worry, a little soot is normal on an outdoor spa. i say take the red wire off the pump and put it where the black wire was on the heater and jump in. well, you might want to check the water with your cheapie ac tester first, just to be sure. good luck with it

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You might want to check to make sure you don't have any component shorted to ground, like the motor or pump, or you will let the smoke out of the new board as soon as you apply power

I used to work on that stuff a while ago, I did all the warranty work for Kohler in N Texas and S Oklahoma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.