1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY DENTIST OUT THERE? NEED SOME ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    twenty years ago i cracked a tooth, it's the upper tooth in the rear of an eye tooth. i had a root canal after it happened. at the time i did not have any dental insurance, so the dentist said he would just fill the space with the stuff they fill cavities with. so half my tooth was still in my mouth and the part that was taken out was filled. today as i am speaking the remaining tooth falls out of my mouth. there is no pain, no blood, but i have a big hole where the half of tooth was. my wife looked at it, said the roots of the tooth is intact inside my gum. i have had very few dental problems. i have 2 questions, can i leave this the way it is? i have no pain. will the hole inside my gum close up? the 2nd question is what normally is done in this type of situation?
    thanks,
    steve balistreri

2. XXPowder

XXPowder Member

Steve, You need to go a Dentist and have the roots removed, They will lead to an infection and inflamed tissue.
    A dentist will cut your gums and remove the roots, there will be a lot if digging in your gum, the next day it will hurt like hell, if you wait it might lead to gum infections and other teeth being removed!

3. senior smoke

that is not what i want to hear. i am the biggest chicken when it comes to needles and dentist.
    steve

4. senior smoke

thanks.
    steve

5. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Having some experience with a upper jaw tooth that had some similarities to yours, I would urge you to find a very good dentist - procedures have changed much for the better since you had that root canal. Mine was also several years old and had to be removed. The top part of the tooth came off leaving only the roots. My dentist removed the roots very carefully without breaking them and very little digging and I honestly felt no pain period -- well, that is until the bill was presented.

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Steve,

I like you am a big Xussy when it comes to the dentist. I just had surgery that I had been putting off for years on my gums. When I told my perio guy that I was a chicken, he gladly gave me a prescription for Valium. 2 50mg the night before, and one an hour before the procedure. They take all the anxiety away. I also tried the gas for the first time and I liked it as well.

Good luck and be brave!

Guy Babin

7. doc boc

doc boc Member

Hi Steve, i am a dentist and based on your description, this is what i believe exists. When you have root canal therapy the organic material is removed, meaning the nerve and pulpal tissue. The roots of the tooth are not removed. If the remaining tooth is sound it can be rebuilt. Usually a post is placed into the treated root and then the tooth ic crowned, ie capped. Most important is that you find a good restorative dentist. try to find one that works in magnification. hope this helps. doc

8. senior smoke

doc boc- thanks for the info and to all the rest of you that responded. i remember a tv show called candid camera. one episode showed 2 young ladies waiting to see the denist. suddenly some guy starts screeming in pain, the 2 girls look at each other and one decides to run out of the office. in my case, i hate even to have my teeth cleaned, it hurts. nothing personal, but I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

PS...

Call around and and negotiate the cash rate up front.

Jay

10. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

See a dentist. Do NOT rely on trapshooters for dental advice. Would you go to a dental site for trapshooting advice?? I love this site, but it is not for medical or dental recommendations. Suggestions, yes, and my suggestion is to see a good dentist. OR, blast it out with a little 700X!! Kidding, see an expert.

Mike

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

See a periodontist first. Some of those guys and ladies do implants. Empirical observation suggests that the roots for upper jaw teeth are close to sinus cavities. Also, today's injectible painkillers, i.e., improvements on novacaine and modern versions there of are much more sophisticated and long lasting. Heck, the dentist can even put a topical medication on the gum before the injection.

Funny story: My periodontist and I were telling jokes and listening to Howeard Stern's show before he ws going to drill. He forgot the anesthetic. It hurt. We laughed. He quipped: "Ah, sometimes I don't know what I'm doing."...cracked me up. I told him I understand; he went to USC, I went to UCLA. He is a very sharp Dr. and sometimes the easy stuff like novacaines is left to the nursing assistant in his office.

See a periodontist. If you have to get surgery, that is be given a general anesthesia, make sure that the Dr. has a degree or residency in anesthesia. That's critical to have a safety base against complications due to a general anesthetic or twilight sleep etc.

12. Guy

Guy Member

Alot of dentists are using "sleep dentistry".....I have done it 6 times. They give you 2 tiny pills to take an hour before your appointment.....you may remember walking into the dentists office......but that's it....next thing you know you will wake up on your couch at home. Many are also using IV sleep....I've done that one time, and I think that is also a slick deal.....but you will be normal when you go in.....and get to watch the IV inserted. With the pills, you are pretty much out of it by the time you get to the office....best of all, you will remember nothing.

When I say "out of it", I mean you remember nothing....you will have normal conversations and act normal....but you won't remember....and , of course, you will need to be driven there and picked up.

With these new procedures, there are no longer any reasons not to go.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Yeah, the sleep dentistry thing sounds similiar to demoral and versed. That's used for colonoscopy. Best of all, no hangover! BTW, my proctologist knows of a colleague who gets that test once per year. The proctologist told me, and he's a character, that his colleague likely gets off on the drugs! Some kind of perverse fun, but it is entirely painless going that route for any minor invasive procedure such as dentistry or colonoscopy.

14. skip

skip Member

Nitrous Oxide

Laughing Gas

Sedative Dentistry

Gas first, novocane second.

Before you get in the chair ask if he or she uses Gas, if not keep looking.

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Drink heavily ... that cures all problems but remember ... drink heavily and never allow yourself to sober up and you will have no more problems.

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I am with skip. I am deathly afraid of dentists. But I go to a guy who hooks me up to the gas at a high volume when I first sit down. Now, I almost like going. Gimme the nitrous. No problem.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

JB weld ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.