1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Decent Gunsmiths in Kansas City?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Darth Vader, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader TS Member

I have been burned several times by so-called gunsmiths in Kansas City over the years and was wondering if you guys knew any good smiths in this area. Anyone ever deal with Terri Kopp or Michael Alle? How about Simmons? I just want to find a quality man that does not screw up guns. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you! James Carpenter

2. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

A few years ago I had Michael Alle restore an old WIn 97, he did an excellent good, nd was a fair price. Also a super nice Guy

3. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Alle does very nice work on restorations and I've seen quite a few handguns he's worked on but I've also seen a few that he's done less than what I'd call good work too so I feel his strength is in restorations. I'd give him a chance before Simmons though. When the original Simmons was sold, it seemed like most of the old gunsmiths ended up leaving and I've not been real impressed with what's come out of there since. They once had a supposed gunsmith named Gardisky but when I followed up on the claims of his background, they were all lies.
    There is also a gunsmith at Denny's in North Kansas City. I had him do some barrel work many years ago and was pleased with the work. http://www.dennysgunstore.com/

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

True Story: Took the barrel off my 1100 Classic Trap into Simmons to have a wire shell catcher installed. I provided an extra wire from another 1100 barrel installation and took along the 1100 Barrel with wire shell catcher on it to use as an example of what I wanted. The fellow at the desk went back to ask if they could do this work. Okay...be done in a week. One week later Simmons called and said the barrel was ready and, by the way, did I really want that little lump of metal on the barrel extension? I almost fainted. Yes, I explained that this is a factory installed shell deflector and leave it alone. The fellow asked: "it won't do you any good anyway, it would be under the wire we installed." I said I use it for doubles and sporting clays and remove and replace the wire from time to time. Response: "Oh, okay." When I picked up the barrel, it certainly appears the shell deflector was removed and then brazed back in place. Simmons may do good work and they have had a great reputation, but I won't go back. Regarding others in KC area, Mike Allee is a good gunsmith. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.