1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Cosmi Shooters?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I recently was able to briefly handle a very impressive shotgun, a Cosmi. This is an Italian-made Semi-Auto with a very interesting mechanism. The shotgun was beautifully made, up to anything I have ever seen.

The fit was superb, but it seemed more of a field gun than a trap gun (it was not labeled "Trap" for that matter). Anyway, I was just curious if anyone here has ever used one as a trap gun, and if so, their impressions of it in that role.

Thanks.

bluedsteel

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've shot them and they are superbly made---BUT----they are recoil operated like the Browning A-5 and would beat you up as a trap gun. This is a hunting gun only.........

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Somewhat off topic but I did see a Darne this weekend while shooting sporting clays at Pintail Point on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Very interesting action, sort of slid back to expose a tray for shells.

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

boomer;

Thanks for the info...that is kind of what I figured.

bluedsteel

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I understand that the action in the Beretta UGB25 is derived from (and very similar to) the Cosmi. I have a UGB25 and it shoots very well. The UGB recoil is exactly what you would expect from a mechanical auto and can be reduced to almost nothing by a well-fitted stock.

Ted K.

6. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

The actions of the UGB and Cosmi are only similar in that they break open on a hinge After that they are entirely different. The Cosmi action/barrel uses the long recoil spring like the A-5 Browning and the Rem 11-48, Rem 11 etc. The barrel moves back and forth a good 3 inches! You get that double shuffle effect that A-5 shooters will recall as the barrel moves rearward and then slams forward chambering a new round. The UGB uses short recoil technology in which the barrel moves rearward just a tiny bit sending the bolt rearward to compress a spring in the buttstock. It's smooth and you have no perception of barrel movement. The UGB also uses a recoil reducing heavy spring in front of the action. The Cosmi is interesting because you load the shells back to the rear in the buttstock assembly when you break it open. It's an engineering marvel that has been around for many years and they are quite expensive with the plain unengraved guns selling for over 10K new.

7. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

owned and sold ( as a dealer ) about 5 cosmis here in ozz what a fantastic shotgun untill you used it!! AND THE GRADE MADE NO DIFFERANCE 7000 to 25000$ they all kick like a mule as a feild gun thats ok but on the clays no way, as a toy fantastic if you have the spare dollars buy one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cosmi shotgun

cosmi shotgun forum