1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Coin Collectors on here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hello all - I am wanting to start a new hobby, Coin Collecting. I am wanting to collect rare coins, proof sets, etc. Any tips from anyone? Also, any websites with info?

Thanks, Matt Woodson

2. ink ball

ink ball Member

I'd recommend getting a current copy of the Coin Dealer Newsletter, so you know what stuff is worth.

http://www.greysheet.com/

For me, I only buy certified ("slabbed") coins from either PCGS (my preference) or NGC (also good). Sometimes the difference in value from one grade to the next can be quite large. Some coin dealers will routinely overstate the grade of their unslabbed coins, so it is easy to overpay for a coin if your aren't careful. Getting certified coins from PCGS or NGC and knowing what the coings are worth will be a big help.

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Hey Matt I just went and got a few thousand of wheat pennies that I had stored at my parents house I also have a lot of the old Nickel's that are more collectable like in the 1940's War nickels also got a few proff sets plus quite a few silver half dollars.

Also when we was in the service station buisness im sure you have heard of Gates fan Belt's well they used to give out some silver dollar sets if you noticed the mystery man that came around ,ok I don't really know if I want to sell any right now or not but if so I will let you know also I have a few albums that we used to buy years ago and try to fill them up with all of the dates and mint locations.

I had a lot of acess to a lot of old coin's back then since everyday customers traded with us I still have the Moon Shine jug that my dad would throw all of the old pennies in rigth now I can't find it, but here is a smaller Whiskey Jug out of paducah KY that we use to store some coins in.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/gdarnell/stuff/?action=view&current=09-05-09012.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foggy

4. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

What's 20 dollar gold piece worht in stunning condition?

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I still have my penny collection from when I was a kid. I ought to try filling in the gaps and bring it up to date.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The only thing I'll share is that with metals pricing near all-time highs, you'll be paying top dollar once again for anything... I would take a "rifle" approach to coin collecting....

Like Silver Dollars - start with those - a few types with Morgans and Peace the most popular... Like Halves... there are many varieties of those too!

Or maybe you want to delve into Gold... a variety of Indians, Liberties, plus the always popular and beautiful Saint Gaudens... Eagles, Half Eagles, Quarter Eagles...

If Mint Sets or Proofs are your thing, there are sub-categories that can be collected there...

Find what hits your fancy, get well-educated on grading and become an expert on a few, not a generalist if you're serious about using real money for investment.

regards and good luck and enjoy,

Jay

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Foggy,

I like to stack silver halves. I'll give you 10x face for any pre 64 you want to sell.

Shannon

8. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

BFD, It's an 1881. My great great grand father got it at a bank in 1881. It's been in the family ever since. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.