1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any coin collectors here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I recently came across an 1831 U.S. half-dollar. Comparing it to photos of the coin I found online, it appears to be in excellent condition with lots of detail remaining. I haven't disturbed the dirt as someone told me years ago that cleaning up old coins can damage their value somehow.

Of course, my question is about its value. Googling "coin values" got me numerous sources but I came away from them with the knowledge that the coin is worth somewhere between several hundred and several thousand dollars, even using the same condition rating. Can anyone here give me a little more accurate estimate?

I also have an old trumpet that is more silver than "brass" in color and is extensively engraved, just in case anyone is into that stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help. If you prefer to reply via email, drop the "x" from the address above.

Ed

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

What brand and model of trumpet, how about some photos.

3. AveragEd

It is marked, "Vega Artistone made by the Vega Company, Boston, Mass.". Further away from the bell, it is engraved, "Semper Facile Princeps". It has a leatherette-covered form-fitted hard case with a music holder, mouthpiece and a small bottle of valve oil inside.

If anyone would like photos of either item, shoot me an email and I'll reply with them. Frankly, that's easier for me than posting them here.

Ed

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ed, I have no idea what your half dollar is worth but I have a 1811 half dollar that says on the edge of the coin half dollar-fifty cents. the shield face says 50 C. Check your edge and see if your coin is the same.

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I recently sold a quantity of silver coins after trying to learn how to value individual pieces. It would probably be easier and quicker to learn to be a brain surgeon than an informed coin collector.

I sold most of them at a multiple of face value and the multiple changes daily with the price changes in the silver market.

The informed dealer who buys by the ounce and sells by the implied value of the individual coin probably makes a living in a rising market. I don't begrudge him his profit.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Ed:

Go on eBay and do an advanced search for completed auctions, putting in your coin's specifications and see what, if any coins similar to yours have sold for.

My $0.02, but thats what I do on much of everything I buy - to see what the real market is offering and buy/sell accordingly.

Jay

7. Arkie

Arkie Member

The coin book that I have is 1995 it said the value for the low is 30.00 and the highest is 750.00. Would be higher now.

8. AveragEd

Thanks for all the posts, PMs and emails. I have a small container of old coins and I guess my best bet is to make the rounds of the coin shops in the area over the next few weeks. The Internet research I've done has proven what Big Heap said to be very true - a coin (or anything old) can be worth a little or a lot depending upon who is looking at it.

One of those other coins is a large Sicilian coin in nice condition that's dated 1811. It's weird to hold something in your hand that's almost 200 years old! Some of the others are half-cents in decent shape and some nickels that have very little detail remaining. I'd guess they are probably worth more by the pound.

Ed

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ed, first you need to be sure your coins are separated and in protective individual holders (you can buy these just about anywhere) Leo is a very knowledgable coin collector. Trust is very important, deal with someone you know and trust. Leo will be home late tonight and if you want to call (573-985-8237)or email, I'm sure he would be happy to try and help you determine a value. There are professional companies who will grade your coin and give you a guarantee for a small fee. Leo can give you more info if you want.

10. AveragEd

Thanks, Karla! I will put together a list and send it to him later this week as I get the time.

Ed

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I have an 07 coin book and the prices vary from low of $60 to high of $1600 and we know that your's with the mud on it won't be the high end. Good luck with it and I hope you find some more. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

semper facile princepts viga trumpet