1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Club Bar Managers here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The local rod and gun club has asked a few of its members to (myself included) to serve on a Finance Committee reporting to the Board of Directors. One of the questions we need to address is the funtioning of the bar. What is an acceptable or average profit margin for a club bar, anyone have any experience? Thanks.

Porcupine

2. bogey67401

bogey67401 Member

I agree with cuzela, forget the call drinks and keep things simple. I owned a bar and grill for 15 years and it is real easy to get caught up in a oversized (too many brands of booze)bar. Unless you want to hire a full time bartender you should keep it to well drinks. 30% is the standard profit margine. On some types it is easy on other not so easy. If you have a walk in cooler it easy to have draft beer. Remember though, somebody has to wash all the glass ware and sanitize it. In a small bar where it is just locals I would keep it to cans for convience. As far as well drinks talk to your local liquor store. They will tell you the right types of well booze for your area, along with the prices.
    One thing you should do is make sure that only one person is managing the bar!! Too many bosses have ruined many really nice places. Set the rules and make sure that everyone pays the same prices. JMHO!
    bogey67401

3. AAleadvail27

AAleadvail27 TS Member

Just curious , not that I disapprove , I think its great , how did you get a liquor license at a gun club ?

With all the bad press with guns and DUIs going on now days , I would think that would be history when it came up for renewal .

I feel its no different then the golf clubhouse to have a few with friends after you finish a few rounds .
    Lets face it , nobody is going to over do it with todays enforcement on the road home .

Bob

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

No experience with a gun club bar (other than imbibing), but I am familiar with the management of our VFW canteen (bar). Remember the VFW is a not for profit business. We price our canned/bottle beer at twice cost, and liquor at appx three times cost/serving.

Guy Babin

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Porcupine, I believe that you are from MA. There are numerous specific laws for running any kind of bar here. TIPS training, liability issues, any number of things to consider. We make very little on our bar operation. It's only a convenience for your members and the participants at your registered events. Truth to be known the risk to your club by one incident is not really worth all you go through for the minimal return. There has been a lot of good input in the posts above here already. Good luck and tread carefully, Bob H.

6. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

My club is on the verge of getting into the trouble Tron is talking about. We have very cheap beer and the majority of our membership is there for that reason. We have established a reputation as a drinking club and shooters shy away from us because of it. We keep an eye on it and do not let someone to shoot if they have been drinking but with so much of it going on I can see how non-members would be concerned. I enjoy a few beers as much as anyone else does but in todays environment you just have to be very careful.

Tom

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

we charge twice what we pay for canned beer. No liquor.

Canned soda, too. Someone wanted to set us up with fountain soda but we wisely decided not to have the resulting mess, even though it would have made a lot of money.

Funny, the trapshooters drink mostly beer, and the skeet shooters drink mostly soda.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.