1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any chemist out there?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

is there any type of alloy or product that can replace lead shot? Breaking clay targets only. Heck , they use rubber bullets now? lol

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Assuming that by "alloy or product" you mean something other than steel, there is a product called "hevi-shot" that is gaining popularity among waterfowl hunters. From the Ballistic Specialties web site:

<I>"Dr. Darryl Amick, a metallurgist, developed Hevi·Shot in 1998. The pellets are manufactured with tungsten alloy, nickel and iron to a density of 12 grams per cubic centimeter. This makes the Hevi·Shot™, according to the manufacturer, “heavier than lead™”. This enhanced physical property translates into demonstrably increased down-range pellet energy.

Hevi·Shot™ is comprised of tungsten alloy (tungsten is an element which is harder than steel/iron), nickel, and iron (approximately the same hardness of shotgun barrels). Hevi·Shot™ pellets must be contained within a specially manufactured, purpose-built shotcup, without which pellet contact with the barrel and subsequent damage to the barrel (such as scoring and pitting) becomes likely....

When selecting Hevi-Shot pellet size, the general rule is to use the same or one size smaller than you would have with lead shot or two to three sizes smaller than steel shot. With that said, this type of generalization cannot replace actual field testing on your part.</I>

Morgan

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yeah, I'm working on a product right now that grinds up the ashes of dead used car salesmen and fuses the molecules with steel for a much heavier shot than even lead. We were going to fuse the steel with bullshit, but your guys ashes are even more dense.

Tron

4. tachyon

tachyon Member

Well, if you want to replace lead you need something with the same or better density (mass/weight per unit volume), cost, production ease and safety.

Lead has a density of 11,340 kg per cubic meter. Gold (19,320), mercury (13,600), platinum (21,400), plutonium (19,800), silver (10,490), tungsten (19,600) and uranium (18.900) all have densities greater than lead. Cost is a factor in all of the above. Safety gets into play with mercury, uranium and plutonium.

Bottom line is that lead has the right mix of density/cost/ease of manufacture/safety to make it the product of choice in making shot. While the cost of lead is increasing, the cost of other metals is also increasing. Lead is still the best choice for shot.

5. smsnyder

tron , you dog you got me laughing again.

6. smsnyder

gold shot? ok you high rollers im impressed when you load those AA shells with some gold shot. out of my league.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Tron, would we have to go to "the manager's office" to negotiate the final price? What would it be called ?....Tronite? Hevi-shit? Screwedshot?

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Tron.....Now THAT was classic!

9. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I am a chemist.....and I was highly disappointed that this is not a chemistry question........

Forrest

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...me too. Got a BS in Chemistry waaaay back 1988. Thought I could finally use some of it.

Dang.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tungsten alloys cost about 10x what lead does. We are currently sell WC for about $35 per Kg. That makes lead look like a real bargain! That's also why hevi-shot ammo sells for about $3 a shot.

#7 Steel just may be the trap load of the future.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think that both gold and uranium have properties that could make them substitutes for lead shot. There are probably others. One great advantage of using such a substitute would be to convince us that lead shot at $50 a bag was a bargain.

Forrest and jeff p. Since you were so disappointed with not having a chemistry question, I do have one for you. What is Avogadro's number? I need to call him.

Pat Ireland

13. wolfram

6.022045x 10^23/mol. Either very long distance or inner space. Deffinate roaming charges.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Pat...come on, EVERYBODY knows avagadro's number

6.0223 x 10 to the 23rd power....or

The number of atoms in mole of any given element.

Now, one for you (or for Forrest, since he'll be disapointed he missed out):

What is Planck's constant?

15. Tron

Wolfram is so smart that he mispelled "definite". You may spell it "deffinate" in another dimension, but it's spelled "definite" in this one.

Tron

16. wolfram

You will need Planck's constant and radiation law if you intend to load any depleted Uranium shot shells. 6626176x 10^-34 Joule.Sec. Also has roaming charges.

17. wolfram

Geee soorry Trooon. Not wurth gettin fuzzed up bout.

18. Tron

Liberal.

19. wolfram

So now the truth is out. Thats right, I voted for Al Gore ... three times. Then I helped him get a bead on this global warming thing. Hillary 08!

20. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I'm going out on a limb! I am saying that we will in due time not be allowed to use Lead. We will be using steel shot. You may say I am wrong but with all this whining and crying about it being hazerdous to the invironment and us humans then it will with all probability be steel for everything. We will just have to adjust all the powder and wadding recipies to suit the use of it. Yes I would Love to keep Lead but with all these earthy do gooders this is where we will peobably end up and why. Rich.(inPoria,A.Z.)

P.S.What is the price of steel on the market now? Does anyone know?!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.