1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

any body try a scope on a trap gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by primed, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I believe our ATA president has tried it.

Bob

2. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

We shoot with with a very accomplished lady shooter who because of a vision problem shoots right handed but has a special crosover mount that allows her to use her left eye only through a halo- reddot sight..an aimpoint I believe...and she is very good..shes from Md.

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I think Neil has tried every combination of scope, red-dot and Bondo possible.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Used to be a guy from MT shot with a low powered scope on a mod. 12. He shot it extremely well too, he won a few major handicap shoots in Las Vegas with that outfit! Hap

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Doc Hammes used to shoot with the lowest power Weaver they had years ago. Since then I have seen a few red dot devices(they are not true scopes since they have no magnification).

I have a Tasco Pro Point that is made with a built in bracket for 870/1100. Excellent for goose hunting. when you focus on the target the red dot appears like magic in front of it when you have the lead.

HM

7. tandemdude

tandemdude TS Member

I shoot a Bushnell Holo sight, and like it very much

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Talk with Joe Kuhn... he got a lot of folks talking with his Barrakuhner.

Jay

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Zardoz...it very well could be her...I have not seen her in quite a while and the last i remember she was using a beretta682 topsingle...she just might have gone to the seitz

10. Toddy

Toddy Member

A gentleman in Vancouver BC shoots P.I.T.A. registered targets with a scope mounted on a Beretta Mark II as when the target gets too far away he looses his vision on target.

He picked the Mark II because it has a thick barrel and will take the tapping for the screws.

He has won a couple of Handicaps and he is only getting used to it.

Reg. Todd, East Sooke, BC

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Trappy, you callow youth, you misunderstand.

With a red dot sight or a low, low power scope you look at the target, focusing your sight there. The red dot or crosshairs or whatever the optical device has will magically appear out there by the target. You do NOT look through the device.

put the gun up and look at the target.

At least thats how it works goose hunting. I did shoot some targets with it and it works that way for clays too.

Made me laugh, there was the goose flying along and the red dot was a foot in front of his nose. Boom! Dead goose.

HM

12. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

Many, many years ago, at the Grand, I witnessed one of the Winchester Reps shooting a aim-point on his gun. It was really a strange sight, but it worked for him...most of the time.

JoeZ

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Holosight will stay on the target even though you move your head. Bad.

Holosight can be raised above the barrel to give you a nice clear view down to the top of the trap house, if that's where they're clear to you. Good.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've shot running silhouettes with my 6mm Rem. and a 2X7 Redfield Widefield scope with both eyes open. Keeping your eyes glued to the target is paramount there also. When the crosshair passes the spot you want to hit you fire, same with a shotgun and a bead. In rifle shooting with a scope, it's called "shotgunning" a moving target. Hap

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

When Ljutic first introduced the Space Gun, a few showed up in southern Alberta with scopes on them. They had 1 power scopes(which is to say, no magnification) and had a dot reticle and had a very wide field of view. I shot one a couple of times. I found the scope intersting but that particular space gun didn't fit me.

Ron Burr

16. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Several years ago an acquaintance of mine who was right handed but blind in his right eye used a low powered side mounted scope to line up the bird and then raise his head and shoot. Not too good of a shot but he had fun and that's what is important.

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I used a Tasco for awhile. No magnification only a red dot. After it was calibrated it worked fine but I shot just as well with it as without. The Winchester rep at the grand introduced me to it - I believe he was from Chicago.

The big drawback was putting the gun in a gun case. A friend now has the sight mounted on an air pistol and picks off squirrels at great distances.

18. joe kuhn

The BarraKuhna with a few other mods as well.

19. joe kuhn

The HoloSight reticle will follow a target when you move your head. I'd like to try a red dot that doesn't do that. Ideas?

20. SmittyK80

SmittyK80 TS Member

Hi The fellow from B.C. is Dennis Horseman. I shot with this gentleman at the 2006 Canadians at Vancouver. He did have a Leupold scope mounted on an 11-87 at that time but since I have spoken to him last he has changed guns, but is still using a scope that he has Leupold change to adjust the paralax for trap shooting distances. I shot the gun at some targets and I will tell you it was kind of neat, but different. Dennis has some medical problems and his eyes.
    Dwight Smith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.