1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any body know about gold coins?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by macttom, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macttom

macttom Member

I cannot find any info on a 1854 Kellogg & Co. $ 20.00 gold coin.
    Any help out there. Thanks, Tom

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

There were three distinct periods of private gold coinage in Gold Rush California, and the firm of John Glover Kellogg was active during the third and final period. A former employee of the United States Assay Office under Moffat & Co. and Curtis, Perry and Ward, Kellogg opened his own firm on December 14, 1853. The Assay Office ceased operations the same day so that its facilities could be converted to house the new San Francisco Mint. Immediately upon its founding, Kellogg & Co. received the endorsement of Curtis, Perry, and Augustus Humbert. The latter gentleman was United States Assayer for California, and he later served as one of Kellogg’s business associates.
    Along with Moffat & Co., Kellogg & Co. is perhaps the most important private minter in the history of Gold Rush California. Between the closing of the United States Assay Office and the beginning of operations at the San Francisco Mint, there was a four-month period during which no establishment was prepared to meet California’s coinage needs.

As early as mid-January 1854, several banking houses in San Francisco and Sacramento had already identified a shortage. These businesses wasted little time in petitioning Kellogg & Co. to supply private gold coins that would fill the void until the San Francisco Mint was ready to open. The firm accepted, and its first $20 gold pieces were issued on February 9, 1854. George Albrecht Kuner, a Bavarian goldsmith, probably engraved the dies for Kellogg’s coinage, the design of which closely resembled the federal government’s official $20 gold coin.

Although the San Francisco Mint commenced operations on April 3, 1854, chronic shortages of alloy and parting acids resulted in numerous delays that, in turn, required Kellogg & Co. to continue issuing coins through 1855. By the end of that year, at which time the San Francisco Mint was finally able to provide enough coins to meet California’s commercial needs, Kellogg & Co. delivered approximately $6 million worth of $20 gold pieces. The seemingly insatiable need for new coinage, along with the aforementioned endorsement that Kellogg & Co. received, meant that the firm’s product met with nearly universally acceptance.

3. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

You may get some difference of opinion on how many were minted. Once source puts the number at 180,000 minted.

Just Google in 20 dollar gold kellogg and you will have more information than you ever wanted.

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Give Leo Harrison III a call. He may be interested or may have some info. I believe Kellogg & Co. is a private issue much like the Mormon gold. Larry

5. macttom

macttom Member

Thanks for all the info. Any idea what they are worth? Thanks, Tom

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

macttom

You might do a running check on eBay. If any show up you will find out about what the actual selling price is and not just get an inflated book or retail price.

Probably a lot like guns, worth twice as much to the seller as they are to the buyer.

Actually if my memory serves me right, I believe they were put out by a San Francisco company about the time of the California gold rush because US minted coins were in short supply at the time, and there was a lot of trade in the area that demanded coinage of some sort to fill in the shortage.

7. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

According to the Red Book on United States coins the 1854 Kellogg&Co $20 gold piece is worth anywhere from $2200 to $17000 depending on condition. If you have and want to sell such coin I'd highly recommend going through a bonafide auction house e.g Stacks or Christy's as a lot of local coin dealers will "rape" you to get such a rare coin. Cliff

8. macttom

macttom Member

Thanks again to all of you. I have not found this coin on ebay. I will check around some more. Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.