1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any bird hunters out there?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RRA, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RRA

RRA TS Member

I hunt birds in the fall and shoot trap year around. I am considering changing to a release/release trigger on my Browning XT combo due to a flinch I have developed the last couple of years. Do you bird hunters have any problems shooting release triggers for trap and then shooting pull triggers on your hunting guns?

2. windyflat

windyflat Member

Search the archives.... There was a good thread about your question last year.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

None, I've been doing it for years. It's gonna be a non-issue!!

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Once you are shooting a unmounted gun your brain reverts to "pull"--kinda amazing but it does..SMOKIT

5. d endicott

d endicott Member

If you are shooting a flushing bird its not a problem ...but shooting passing birds such as doves the first 15 will get away because of a flinch.

6. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

not a problem. AJ

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

RRA,

I shoot a release trigger for trap. A few years back, the flinch-monster reared his ugly head several times while pheasant humting, using a pull trigger. I tried my best to ignore it, but Copper didn't. It kept getting worse. In 2010 I dragged out my Browning XT with double release triggers about two weeks into the season. It functioned perfectly and safely. I have since had double releases built for my 12 gauge Lighting field gun, and I couldn't be happier with it, plus, no more dirty looks from Copper!

So the 'dawg (above) and I will just have to agree to disagree...

Good hunting.

Jon Reitz

8. RRA

RRA TS Member

I appreciate the responses. It has given me a lot to think about. Not certain where I will go, but now I have a few more things to consider...
    RRA

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Why not address the flinch?

I switched to 7/8 oz 12 ga loads for trap.

Shot a straight 2 weeks ago and a 24 today

We won't talk about last week where I shot over most of them with a hammer gun (didnt keep head down)

regards

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Is it safe to use a release trigger in the field?

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Safer than flinching so bad with a pull trigger the dog's in danger!!

12. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If you hunt with a regular group of guys you might ask them what they think. Nothing personal but I don't think I'd want to hunt with someone using a release nor have my dog hunt in front of him.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I doubt the original poster will have a problem using his normal field guns after going to a release on his trap gun. I shoot with a guy that has gone that route and he doesn't have any problem switching back and forth between the two trigger systems.

The thing about using the release on the trap gun is that the shooter will have the gun shouldered and pointed down range when they set the trigger = it is a very deliberate act which is very different from the quick reactive response of pulling the trigger as you swing on a bird.

I don't shoot a release trigger but I also believe that the time may come when I need to go that way. They do seem to help most of the shooters that try them.

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Want to try a real challenge? Switch from right handed to left handed. It is hard enough to do at trap but is a real bear when you have to "move, mount and shoot" from the other shoulder. It takes a bit of doing but it can be done - even after more than 50 years of doing it the other way.

15. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Frank C --- I have shot a release in the past but not because I flinched. When I shot Bunker I shot a release/pull to good effect.

I have also shot with many shooter's who use a release over the year's to the point I prefer not to anymore unless I know the shooter.

My concern is a bird flushes -- the shooter sets his trigger and someone shoots it before he get's off his shot -- the "uncocking 2-step" is bad enough on a level trap field with nothing in front --- I don't think I want to be around when the shooter is in thick cover and a dog in front and perhaps some other hunter's not quite in a perfect line.

You're welcome to do as you please but please allow me to share my opinion which is what the OP requested.

16. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

I would not hunt with a Release since.

I shoot a Release trigger for registered targets Trap, Skeet and some Sporting. Shoot better without the Release but still am no Bender. I have not experienced an issue with a pull tirgger while hunting Pheasants, Ducks and Quail.

I prefer a double Release in an O/U, auto it is always a Release. I also prefer a very fast trigger. I have a Swaube, Timney, Roman, Spears and Phil trgger.

I like the K gun, the Spears is very consistant and that is the gun I shoot the most. The Roman is consistant but your trigger fatigues from holding the trigger back. The auto triggers work fine for shooting an auto.

I like the fast trigger because I really do not have to think about releasing the trigger. I just establish a lead and relax. No more flinch :eek:)

Take care,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.