1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Barrel Gurus attend the Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Duck, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Duck

Duck Member

Anybody know if any of Big Dawgs of barrels, :) have a booth @ the Grand for a face to face delivery?.

2. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Didn't see any

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nope, not until the trees get big enough to bend barrels with...

4. JT 27

JT 27 Member

The one's that shoot are here but just to shoot. There are some that will port or just ream but that is not a "guru" IMHO.

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

What is typically done by the barrel guys- forcing cones, backboring and chokes? What is the average bill to have this work done per barrel (singles and O/U)?

6. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i would bet stu wright is there

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yep, Stu Wright is there in the Vendor buildings.

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Last I checked, Wilkinson charged $400 to tune a barrel.

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

OK Guys what does tuning a barrel mean and does it have value ? Espcially @ $400 I have a KX-5 that I have thought about having it looked at.

Thank You,
    Jim Z

10. Duck

Duck Member

I forgot about Stu Wright, Thanks for all the replys.

For me, the barrel work I'm looking for is a some backboring and less choke.
    (.725/.042) BT99 project.

11. plaw

plaw Active Member

I just left my doubles barrels with Wrights and will get them back in two wks. Stu is very nice to deal with.

12. BigM-Perazzi

Since Stu is only 1/2 hr away, I suspect he'd be the one with a quick turn around.

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

You might stop by and talk with the folks at Perazzi. Judging from the number of World Cup and Olympic medals they have accumulated I'd guess that they know more about making barrels perform than all the barrel butchers put together - since they have, IIRC, oh, yeah, None.

just a thot

Charlie

14. BigM-Perazzi

Not quite true, Charlie..

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Charlie lots of the World cup and Olympic guns are tuned for sure we are talking elite here think about it. Factory tuned/fitted for sure. Look how many shooters shooting the new DT11 in World cup Beretta must be taking a page out of krieghoff's American trap marketing policy

16. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

If Perazzi was doing anything to those barrels special and they didn't market that to death it would be a new page in their book.

Face it, they're out to sell guns and anything that'll sell more would be right there for the world to buy. And they'd be just way happy to sell it to you.

Get serious.

17. BigM-Perazzi

Believe what you want.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I never had or shot a "Tuned Barrel" in all the years I have been shooting ... I bought a MX2000/8 combo with a Wilkinson tuned top single and I like what I see so far as results, it boils targets from handicap if I do my job and get it close to where its supposed to be ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Major.. I have to strongly disagree with your statement. I believe Perazzi makes the best factory tuned barrels available, however, they can still be improved upon. To properly tune a competition barrel takes time. Several trips to the patterning board, more barrel work, and more trips to the patterning board until the barrel man gets it where he wants it. Perazzi doesn't have the time to spend several extra hours, per barrel, to get the maximum performance from each barrel they produce. And, as we all know, every barrel is different in its performance, so, what works for one barrel won't necessarily work for another..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Perazzi MX8

Perazzi MX8 Member

Does anyone know if Tom Wilkinson is at the Grand this year? If you have his current contact info please message me. I need to get in contact this week.