1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any alternative to Briley Thin Walls Choke Tubes ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I just bought a Krieghoff K80 that came with Briley Thin Wall choke tubes installed in the barrel(over and under ). I went on the Briley website to see about buying some additional choke tubes - and discovered the lowest price tubes are $50 for flush mount. . . . but the more preferable extended and color coded Spectrum tubes are $90 each. Five choke tubes and my public school math says I'm over $450 with shipping.

I checked Angle Port and Comp-n-Choke to see if they make a "thin wall" choke tube to fit the Briley threads with no luck. I suspect Briley has a patent that no one can copy yet. Regardless, any other reputable choke tube makers out there at a little lower price ? This isn't even factoring in the barrel bore/choke restriction discussion.

Am I missing any alternative(s) here.

Thanks in advance

2. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I think you will actually wind up preferring the flush mount chokes in the long run. I have guns with both types from Briley and have gone to flush mount. No difference in pattern. The only problem would be if you are a frequent choke changer where it could become a chore to remember what you have in the gun. Two ways around that. One, don't change which is what I do, and two, just check to see what you have left in your box and it's a process of elimination. I much prefer the flush mount and have proven on the pattern plate that there is no difference other than the fancy colors and the cost.

Joe Hardage

3. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

adding to what joe said---

the thin walls do not add a lot of weight at the muzzle ---the flush s2 are light--i would hazard a guess that the amount of metal that is removed is equal to the weight of the choke----

i have them in a perazzi barrel--excellent and even pattern----and the hits are hard ( when i do my part )

4. daveship

daveship Member

i have some for sale what constrictions do you need

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Wright's makes S-2 chokes which is what many "thin wall" choke's thread pattern is. Their extended chokes are $50 so if you're trying to get them for twenty five bucks you are out of luck unless you buy used.

6. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the responses.

ShippingDave:

I'm looking for two skeet, one each of IC, MOD, anf FULL.

The choke in the gun that I can get out just using my thumb ( I don't have a choke wrench yet ) is marked "S-2 - cylinder." I haven't measured the bore diameter ( guess I need to buy one of the bore gauges oftern touted and for sale on this site )

Thanks

7. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Be very very careful mixing and matching choke tube manufacturers. A Briley series 2 and a Wright series 2 are not the same tube. The skirt diameters are different and can cause the tube to be blown out of the end of the barrel. I am speaking with first hand knowledge I had a customer install a Wright series 2 tube in a MachOne and came to my display asking for a warranty refund. The tube on the 10th shot of a round of singles ended up on the other side of the traphouse. The only good thing is the barrel was untouched I took a brand new tube out of my pack and it screwed right in the barrel. The process used to machine a thin wall tube is expensive and it is amazing that they take material that thin and keep it round. The cost for that tube is very much in line and not an expensive item when you look at what a K-80 cost. Have a great day and shoot as shoot often.

Dennis DeVault

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

You're trying to save, what, $100? Briley chokes are what the barrel was cut for. Briley thin walls are quite good. I wouldn't risk anything to save a few bucks.

WNCRob

9. sport303

sport303 Member

you heard the addage you get what you pay for. that is the case with briley thinwall. the best of the best. jack concannon team usa sporting 2006-2010 sporting

10. shark1

shark1 Member

You need special upgraded chokes for Krieghoff from Briley! Must use harder steel. call Briley and ask. Do not play with safety for a dollar savings. Mike Sharkey, DC

11. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Briley gurantees there chokes. Some of the others will give you a run around. jim w.

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If it started out without tubes and Briley put them in, they are probably "square threads". It's Briley's trade mark, I'm not sure anyone else does the square thread.

Ajax

13. dls guide

dls guide Member

Just buy the brileys. Don't screw up your new gun. Remember, a new set of barrels is 3k to 4k.

14. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I am having Briley thin wall chokes installed in a Broadway right now.With the Broadway you can only use flush chokes because the extended end up too close together.I don't know about a K80.Just info only.

Darr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley thin wall choke

briley thin wall choke installation

briley thin wall choke tubes

briley thin wall chokes

briley thin wall chokes for sale

briley thin wall chokes review

thin wall choke tubes

thin wall chokes