1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any All Americans with back issues?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

What a week boys and girls! Had my second back surgery on Sunday(emergency style) and turned 40 yesterday. Well with no end of the world in sight, I'm thinking about the spring and shooting.I'd like to know if any of the All American shooters have to deal with or have chronic back pain.Does anyone know of any books or studies done on the effects of recoil on the body(back)?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison has had back surgery. I ate dinner with him and a group taking his clinic and he told me about it. I can't remember the extent of his surgery though but I believe he faired pretty well from it.

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I am far from an All American shooter, but being a PROUD American, I served and I shoot, I thought I'd chime in. In 1990 I had 6 herniated discs at one time and seriously thought the world. Was gonna end because of the pain. Went to Phillies Thomas Jefferson, plates and screws, two year recovery and I was good. I did anything & everything I wanted. I was good!
    The beginning of this year I had a nasty fall, 61 & retirement in my sights, I have a lot of issues. And it has curbed my shooting almost to a stand still. Still doctoring, still hopeful, time will tell. Thanks 4 letting me vent.

4. greendrake

greendrake Member

about 15 years ago I was in the neuro center flat on my back for a week. Over all those years i hurt. I finally had my knees replaced and still with 3 herniated discs and 3 degenerative discs i hurt. Last summer i made it to montana and wyoming for a week long trout fishing trip. On day four I fell down and for six months I've been badly hurt, in awful pain. My primary care doctor put me on quick release and slow release morphine tablets for 5 months. I do not remember much. My neurosurgeon said that after and mri and ct scan there was no new damage. yes guys i was screwed

my wife, a surgeon, found me a real pain guy. He made me touch my toes twist etc then said that my bad disks were the problem. He put me on a TENS unit that has pads with wires to my back, The pads are sticky and adhere to the back. they all plug into a little white box. As I increase the mA the pain abates. In the last month I have taken no pills at all. None.

So after 15 years of suffering constantly i am pain free

The pain doctor made the difference

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo had surgery in 1999, but they didn't really do anything for his herniated disc...he had a growth removed from inside his spinal column. He just has to be very careful about he turns or lifts. He started using the Stock Lock for recoil and that has been great.

6. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I have some rather severe back issues but I still like to shoot. Olympic Shooters are referred to as athletes so I figure I'm an athlete too. Not bad for an old man with 2 broken vertebrates, 3 herniated discs, and a degenerative thoracic spine. I plan on being an All American before it's all over. Yes, it hurts to shoot most days and other days not as much. The smell of burnt powder and broken clays still gets me excited.

Duane

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm with you Duane....

Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.