1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice on using an ultrasonic cleaner for gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I now have access to an ultrasonic cleaner. It is a smaller unit and I am thinking about using it for cleaning gun parts like trigger groups, bolts etc.

Anyone here use an ultrasonic cleaner? If you do what solution(s) do you use with it? Anyone have one but do not use it for cleaning gun parts? If so, why not.

Thanks,

2. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

I have one and use it on my pistols, It's by far the best method of cleaning! It get in every nook and crannie to blast out the dirt grease and grime.

I use simple green cleaner with about 20% water added and it has worked great for me.

FYI you can buy one from Harbor Freight for about $80 that is perfect for pistols and rifle actions, shotgun receivers etc......

Never ever use a flammable solvent in one!!!!

3. Wentez

Wentez Member

Use a ziplock bag with your soap, simple green, etc. Close the ziplock and fill your sonic tank with water. The water action carries the energy through the solution in the ziplock.
    That way you dont get your tank cruddy and you reduce the volume of your disposal of your cleaning solution.

Works for me.

George

4. FrankOmega

FrankOmega TS Member

I agree with Chipmaker. Ultrasonic cleaning tanks clean three times faster while delivering results superior to traditional hand cleaning methods. A cleaning solution with a rust inhibitor, such as OmegaBlue, will not remove bluing from gun barrels or dry-out gun parts.

Hope that helps,

Frank

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

How do these cleaners work on guns with 40yrs of dried on WD-40.

I recently had an email from a company selling cleaners such as these but I couldn't swing the 4Gs they were asking.

Doug

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have been cleanning with ultra sonic for years. We use it to clean medical devices. Implants of all types. Several years ago I started to use it on my guns. We always use and still do a citrus. Mainly orange citrus. Industrial strength is call citrus soluve.
    To save money and time to find it just go to your grocrey store and get a dish washing liquid with citrus orange in it. Works just as good.
    Heat your water to 160 degrees and about a half cup of soap to 3 gal. of water and make sure you suspend your parts in the solution not lay it on the bottom or let the sides touch it. Hang it with wires to suspend the parts. Clean for about 10 min. rinse well with hot water and blow dry. If clean enough, oil good and you are on your way.
    Oh ya. The soap is FDA approved.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Thank you all!

It looks like I will going Ultrasonic on the next cleaning.

8. dontate

dontate Member

I am a dentist and use ultrasonics to clean my instruments before sterilizing. Any general purpose dish detergent will do for most jobs but if you want to get oils and debris dissolved more quickly try this mix.

1/3 Household Ammonia
    1/3 Isopropyl Alcohol or Methanol
    1/3 diluted dish detergent

This mix works very well in removing jewelers rouge and other polishing agents that have petroleum binders in them. Try it on your wifes' jewelry, you will be a big hit with her!

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I swapped a large industrial ultrasonic cleaner for a suppressor last year. Guns left in it long enough it would peel incredibly thin layers of lead out of the lands. I used a mild alkali solution, and the guns came out with no oils on them whatsoever. I just never used it much and it was taking up space.

As for removing caked up and hardened old grease, WD40, etc., yes, it will do so. It can also remove paint, and that's what camo film is put over. So I'd be careful about putting in camo dipped guns or anything that's been painted for any length of time. Keep an eye on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.