1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice for beating a ticket?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by magnumshot, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Recently went through an area I haven't driven through for a couple years. They changed the speed limit from 50 to 35, and, needless to say, I was looking ahead and not paying attention to the new signs. I went this way because I remember the speed limit from years ago as being 50, and thought I'd make good time. Hard to see why they changed it because the road resembles an airport runway, and there's little that has changed. Got a ticket doing 59 in a 35 zone. I saw the Trooper and slowed a little, to around 50. Trooper reluctantly admitted that it used to have a faster speed zone, and said talk to the judge.

Anybody got some good advice for what to say? Thought I'd just tell the truth and see what happens.

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

The truth is always the best way to go... offer no excuses. If your record is clean, the Judge will probably cut you a break and drop any points.

Good luck,

Guy Babin

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Actually either way you were speeding. 59 in a 50 zone is speeding. Hope you get an understanding judge.

Eric

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Find a lawyer who knows the local judges and seek his advice. I would not go to court without a lawyer. If you have a clean record, you may be able to go to traffic school and have any points be dropped.

5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

You broke the law,so just pay the price.
    Try and beat it will only #iss off the judge.

Bo

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you really desire to fight the ticket go to court and tell the judge guilty out of your own ignorance for not noticing or paying attention to the speed limit signs on the side of the road. Tell him that years ago when you drove on that road the speed limit had been 50mph and you did not realize or think that it had been changed so yes you are guilty but hope he can see you made an honest mistake.

Now be prepared to pay the full fine, court costs and whatever insurance penalties your insurance company will ding you for.

Ignorance is not an excuse and any judge in the land will see that you obviously did not even look for or notice the speed limit signs and will probably also wonder what other signs you might have missed like maybe a school zone sign or some other important signs.

Do yourself a big favor and just pay the ticket by mail and be done with it ... there is no fighting the ticket and depending on the judge and the cop you could really get royally screwed cause if the cops shows the radar and shows you were actually recorded at 59mph instead of the 50mph he wrote you for ... well usually 20+mph over the limit is considered reckless driving and not just speeding and you already got a major break and I mean a major break for not getting a ticket for reckless driving @ 59mph in a 35mph zone.

Just pay the ticket and realize you already got the break you are looking for by only getting a ticket for 15mph over the limit.

7. High Brass

High Brass TS Member

Your best bet was to smooze the cop. If he wrote it, your chances of getting it tosses are slim to nil. As it's been pointed out above, you broke the law regardless of the speed limit and there is no reason to throw it out. Just pay it, slow down, and realize that cops have delicate egos and need special handling if you want to get out of tickets.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

That only would work if it had been a local cop ... he got the ticket from a state trooper.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Request a hearing and hope the trooper doesn't show!!

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

They will schedule the hearing to coincide with the troopers schedule just like if he asked for a continuance of some sort he would be given dates that would also coincide with the troopers schedule.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Move to Canada.

12. High Brass

High Brass TS Member

Not a good plan ole, you’ll have to take a day off work which will cost you about $200.00 +. You have to pay for gas and parking and sit around all day waiting for the court. And the cop will show it. Remember, he's a trooper. It what they live for. They get paid overtime to go to court and if they miss more than a couple court dates then their boss will be all over them. Now that you're there with the cop, the court is going to be pissed for wasting their time because the best you have to say is, "I didn't know the speed limit." Guilty, no break, full fine. You'd be better off just paying the damn thing.

13. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

You dont need a lawyer, its a speeding ticket not a felony. Call the prosecutor and ask to have it held off your record. They have programs that you can pay a little extra and reduce the charge to a seat belt ticket or a non moving violation. Most counties have it, just call and explain to them the case. I gota 60 in a 50 a few years ago and plead to a seatbelt ticket and payed a bit more to keep it off my record since I drive for a living. Give the prosecutor a call, it cant hurt.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My kid seems to beat most of his speeding tickets by requesting the hearing. I used that system last year and bargained the local cop down to 5 miles over from a lot more!!

15. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have what I believe is the answer.Send me your e-mail and I will send you the info. Dennis.

16. Kristin

Kristin TS Member

Cry, it usually works for me!!!!

Just kidding. Good luck with the ticket.

Kristin

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Kristin ... what if its a female judge, does it still work?

18. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Definatly do not just pay it as posted above. You do not want that one on your record if you can avoid it. Local TX lawyer has relieved me of one for $350 a few yrs ago, don't know if that is still the going rate or not. The insurance prem. is the killer and you need to avoid it if you can. JD

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Become a LEO and then you wouldn't have gotten one in the first place. Remember we need more enfoecers. ;) If that is out of the question, see the above post about bargaining with the prosecutor. BOL

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Not if it happened around Crescent City, CA.

I filled out the paper work for a trial hearing, they found me guilty, I then filed an appeal....guilty.....of driving to slow.

Lieing bastard CHiP officer!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.