1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any action to fix this sport?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtimney, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

I'm getting back into trap and ATA competition after a 35 year break. Just about everything I've read on the 'state' of trap, including threads here on TS.com, indicate the sport is declining.

I've heard some of the ideas put forth for improving the game, but I haven't read much about anyone doing anything to put these ideas into action.

As I said, I'm getting back into the sport and don't know what my ATA rep. for New Hampshire thinks, what the ATA BOD is doing, etc., etc. So, is there anyone out there who can comment on any real movement toward improving the sport or fixing the problems that exist?

I'll put on my seat belt now and wait for your responses. Mark T.

2. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The Literalist's experience seems to mirror mine. People at the clubs where I shoot and at the Silver Dollar where I shoot the most never seem to complain about the ATA.

They complain about other things involving trap shooting, but the complaints are mostly about things the club or shoot management has control over-target setting, start times, etc.

Perhaps I have missed the ones complaining about the ATA since I am out shooting and not sitting on the porch.

I suspect, given some of the complaints I have seen here on TS.com, that some shooters who complain about the ATA should actually be complaining about their club management. They deal with classification, targets, penalty yardage, etc., not the ATA.

Bob

3. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

We go to many shoots and in attitudes are good and shooters still love to shoot.

Puppies grow out of whinning - Trapshooters never do.

4. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Thanks for the responses. It's good to hear that things may not be that bad.
    I am a little confused, though, given the amount of bit#$in I've read here.

Mark

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

not the best pictures... but you get the idea...

Jay Spitz, Naperville

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

ATA "problems" are of little concern to most shooters. Sure the President gets a $15k gun and the execs get paid to attend shoots - so big deal. You pay a measely $20 to be a member. If you think these "pigs" are feeding from your trough go ahead and get to that level.

Yes the sport is declining and the EC has no idea what to do about it.

Sure, we pissed off the Martins; so no more $350k thrown at the Grand to try to keep attendance from dropping further.

The trophies suck at some shoots and fewer people are playing options.

Still a lot of good people and fun.

I guess it depends on why you shoot ATA

And one last news flash -- ATA is not all of Trap shooting.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Hell. As soon as the economy is less iffy, I think the clay shooting sports are going to come back "gangbusters". Lot's of new kids due to the SCTP and AIM programs and a lot are sticking with the sport.

Don't let the naysayers that talk bad here on TS.Com. influence you too much. Problems are highly exaggerated on the internet. Lot's of "personal" grudges and opinions that don't reflect what's really happening.

There are those who say I see trapshooting through 'rose colored' glasses....actually I use "vermillion" but I never let the negatives get me down. I see temporary problems as challenges. Welcome home!

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

After you have visited this site several times you will learn that there are only a handfull of the negative, gloom & doom, kill the ATA, Sparta is bad, posters..... Ignore them & enjoy the great shooting sports.......

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

ALL elective sports are suffering. Just the fact you are back is a good indicator of things to come.

People will come back to whatever they used to do once they feel safe enough to let go of a few dollars.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The small shoots are suffering, because they cost as much to shoot
    as the big shoots. Don't think that it's just trap. Sporting clays is
    getting hit just as hard on the local level.

What seems to be working best is eliminating the money for the small shoots.
    Our best attendence this year was when we were throwing $17 targets. Except for the major events, sporting clays shoots in $ 35 to $40 range are doing better than the $65 to $100 shoots.

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

If memoryserves me correct. The ata had issues back in the 70's. Everything does. Don't let the few spoil it for the many. Take Lits advice and just enjoy. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.