1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any .50 BMG Shooters Out There???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Been kicking around the idea of getting a .50BMG rifle. Not looking for anything crazy like a semi-auto, just a "simple" bolt action. Seems my reasonably-priced options are the Armalite AR50, Barrett Model 99 and Steyr HS50. My range is only 300yr so nothing really long distance either. Just something fun for a few times a year.

1) Anyone have experience with any of these three they'd like to share?<BR>
    2) Anyone can tell me if it's worth getting the National Match version of the Armalite?<BR>
    3) Any thoughts on good reloading items?<BR>
    4) Just any general tips or thoughts?

Thanks

2. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

PM me and I'll tell you all about my experiences with my Barrett 82A1. Still have the giant RCBS Ammomaster press it take to load em. Which is for sale. Very impressive caliber. Hard to find anything you can't shoot thru. Bottom os an oxygen cylinder is the only thing I found that I couldn't penetrate, even with AP ammo. No build for accuracy from what I found. Recoil isn't as bad as you think, but muzzle blast is worse than you can imagine. :)

3. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

If your going to get in to National Match shooting go with the Barrett..... your going to pay more for a Barrett but your not going to be sorry. I have won a lot of long range match's with a 50 BMG Barrett. 2008 I made a shot over in PA and got a award for a ground hog kill at 2322yds with a Barrett 50BMG. IF your going to buy new I would look in to a 416 Barrett it will shoot flater and a little faster than a 50BMG.

All of my match ammo come from Hornda custom shop for my 50BMG. 50 BMG's are not cheap to shoot so I would think long and hard about it before buying one. They are a lot of shooting ranges that will not let you shoot then there do to the big holes in the ground. After 20 or so shots the bank looks like a ground hog hole.

IF I can find my award picture for that shot over in PA I will post it for you if you like to see it.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They never were extremely accurate but fun to shoot and effective in combat. I got all of it I wanted in The Marine corp

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The Barrett 82 eats a lot of the recoil - bunch of springs inside... plus a nasty muzzle break (brdslyr is correct on the muzzle flash and small typhon it produces).

Accuracy depends very much on the ammo. Military surplus goes bang, but has little accuracy. The 1000 plus yard shots need good fodder - which ain't cheap.

There are several rounds based on a necked down 50 - 416 Barrett, 460 Chey Tac, plus a host of others. For many reasons these tend to be more accurate (twist rates, ballistic coefficient, etc.).

I had a chance to visit this factory last month...

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Be sure where you can shoot the beast. A lot of ranges don't allow them.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Why would you want a .50 for under 300 yards.

8. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

We sold a 416 Barrett this spring. That is one cool gun and the recoil was nothing punishing at all. My first thought if you are only shooting 300 yds, you are not doing any justice to either the 416 or 50...regardless that does not change the fun factor, you just won't see what they can really do.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Both 416 and 50BMG are neat but not so useful and so very very expensive for every single trigger pull,.even reloading ..unless you are hunting 18 wheelers or mutant walking blue whales or bigfoots with body armor,..I'd go with a 338 Lapua..deadly accurate at very long range and lots more bullets out there to shoot cheap enough to have lots of fun with before you go bankrupt..plus its in guns not so heavy or unrealistic that you couldn't hunt big stuff with it if you got the itch to

10. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

With a max yardage of 300, there are numerous other calibers that fit the bill. Unless you have money to burn, I would look elsewhere. IMO, 50cal doesn't get started till you reach 1000yds.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I know 300 yards is not nearly enough to see what it can really do, but honestly, I want it for the fun factor. Not to push the limit. I know my 223/308s would "work" equally as well at putting holes in the paper, but that's not the point for this one. I want it for what it is, not what it can do at 1500-2000 yards.

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Be careful or you'll put your eye out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1ShV7cii0aY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sent PM

HM

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Rick, ok that's just messed up. How is that even possible. The odd must be worst than hitting the powerball.

HM, I replied.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You might check out the 338 Lapua. It is a long range butt kicker that is catching on. Also, hunting ammo is made for it and ranges allow it. If asked, it is an Elk Rifle. "Nuff said.

LOTS CHEAPER THAN THE 50!

16. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If he can afford to buy a .50 Barrett just for fun, then obviously he can afford to shoot it.

17. twotimer

twotimer Member

EDM makes a 50 bmg called the wind runner. For all out accuracy, you may want to look at that. Not cheap though. Mike

18. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I need to hear someone that owns a 50 to tell me that to feel the power it is worth the hassle and the cost. Is it that much more fun over a 308. Is it actually personally that much shear fun to shoot. I am asking this because it is the next and last caliber I am saving for. I would try one first but that is an impossibility.

Sorry OP for the highjack, I am looking for a more personal response to shooting one.

CM

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well I don't own one but my buddy has a bolt action .50 BMG built on an AR lower. I have shot my fair share of .308 in various different guns. There is simply no comparison between a .308 and the .50BMG. When you touch off that first round you will agree.

Picture from Sniper Central shows the .50 BMG next to the .308 and .223

[​IMG]

20. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

They look rather puny that is true. I wish I could shoot one before spending the bucks. But I can imagine and that will probably be enough, it has to feel good!

Can't wait to shoot my first cement block at 500 yds.

CM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.