1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any .204 Ruger users here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 700X-user, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I am getting ready to start loading some .204 Ruger loads for an Encore rifle barrel. Any acccurate pet loads would be appreciated. I am going to start with 32 grain Hornady V-max bullets. Some of my powder choices: Varget, H322, IMR 4895, etc. I have checked out the various powder company websites, I was just curious what might be working for some shooters on here.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I just loaded up a bunch of .204 Ruger, Hornady brass, 32 grain Hornady V-max, CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers, 30.7 gr Hodgdon BL-C(2).

Pretty well duplicates fact'ry velocity and accuracy.

John C. Saubak

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

go to the google and enter 204 Ruger, it will bring up a extensive list of sites
    with loads, information.

4. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I researched the .204 Ruger pretty extensively on the net. I was just hoping to hear some personal comments from TS.com users.

Ed

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I have 2 of them both Savage. I had some problems getting them to shoot like I thought they should. I finally stumbled on Benchmark powder and then things started to work really well. Try Benchmark powder I think you will like it. Loads are available in the Hodgdon book. I am shooting 40 gr V-Max bullets about one grain below max with very good results. I just finished loading 1000 of them for a Prairie Dog safari coming up next month.

jim brown

6. larryjk

larryjk Member

Try some recommended loads using Winchester 748. Shoots the eyes out of mosquitoes. Work up to best accuracy - to heck with velocity. They will both be there.

7. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Thanks for the info.

Ed

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

748 is the best powder I use for .223. If the gun won't shoot 748, get rid of it.

In the case of the .204, Varget and Benchmark are the best choices of my PD shooting partners. Start around 6-7 % under max, and go till you get the desired accuracy or a wee ring around the dent in the primer.

Every gun is its own thing, but you got good advice here. For best accuracy, once you have a load, you should uniform the primer pockets and trim the flash holes.

Big difference.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.