1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Any 17 HMR Shooters ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I enjoy shooting my 17 HMR, hunting Grey Squirrels, Wood Chucks and paper target shooting. I don't profess to be a marksman there is always the error factors when I'm shooting. I just enjoy shooting.

I'm not shooting a world class set-up. A Marlin 917 Bull w/ Bushnell Banner 3 -9x but, it is deadly accurate in the range I'm shooting it @ 50 - 100 yds. Any breeze I leave it at home, I've only been shooting it when there is no air.

I'm just curious if you guys experience flyers with your factory ammo when you are target shooting. I'm not going to say I'm having major problems or anything but, regardless of which brand or bullet type, I experience these flyers on occasion.

Can I just chalk this up to just being a typical rimfire issue? Consider it like a .22 flyer thing? I'm not perfect by along shot and I always have my margin for error figured in. I don't think it's a heat issue due to barrel temperature.

The ammo I've been shooting is the Federal V-Shok Polymer and Jacketed HP's, CCI Speer TNT's HP's, and Remington AccuTip-V Polymers. Just looking for some feed back from you 17 shooters. It's a fun round to shoot with interesting ballistics.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Given the accuracy of the ammunition and the guns, I would ponder the possibility that the flyers are being caused by the shooter.<br>
    <br>
    BTW, I have a Winchester/USRA 9417 in 17 HMR. While it is not quite as accurate as a properly free floated bolt action, and the hammer has longer lock time than a bolt action firing pin, nevertheless it is still a very accurate rifle, and is the most accurate lever action I've ever shot.<br>
    <br>
    And yes the bullets are quite sensitive to wind. Unfortunately, we often have wind here, so this sometimes limits its use.

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have found that if there is the slightest of breeze, leave it home. The wind really affects that caliber big time. Its a fun gun but I have to ask myself all the time why I have it. By far and away the best most accurate rifle I own is my Rem 700 BDL 26" bull barrel 223. There would be a lot of things go in my life before that gun. Sorry to ramble but back to the question, I do not get fliers so to speak. The Hornady ammo works better in my gun than the CCI.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Now you gave me an excuse to post my favorite plinker. It's a Savage 93 in .17 HMR. i put a Basix trigger (11oz pull, NO creep) with a Redfield Illuminator 3x9 scope. Lots of fun to shoot, but as mentioned, leave it in the safe if there's any wind.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_1030.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've kicked around the idea of the BASIX trigger or whatever they call it, seems easy enough to install. It's no problem to pick up some Hornady's. I'll gladly try them. I was told by the guys at the shop when I bought it that it my be a trial to see what shoots best for me. The CCI's SPEER TNT Hollow Points do group best in my opinion. All the stuff I've used seem to group well. The occasional flyer just must be common. I'm not talking about being off by 12" at 100 yds., maybe 2", 2 1/2" 3" just enough for me to consider it a flyer.

I have no regrets buying this rifle. I enjoy shooting it. Quite an impressive little round. A bit expensive but, I don't shoot it week in and week out. The Marlin was at a good price when I bought it. I don't think it is very popular gun in my area.

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Tron, that a nice set-up!

7. Tron

This is a quarter that I set between 2 boards and hit first shot at 120 yards. The quarter didn't even move.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_1021-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

try the Hornady 20gr it is far better than the 17gr. they are a little hard to find but worth it

9. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

I have the Marlin at it is easily the most accurate rimfire I've owned and I've had some expensive name brand ones. But this is after I did the trigger and free floated the barrel except for the first couple of inches and bedded the action and that first bart of the barrel. That took care of any fliers. Also double tripple check your scope rings, it's a shame to use cheap tip off mounts on such an accurate gun and your scope is limiting you some, to get all the accuraccy these guns are capable of you need everything else to be right on as well. I also second the Hornady ammo, it just shoots better for me.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm always open to suggestion. It's easy enough to get some Hornady and try it. I did see some 20 gr. somewhere in my travels. I did put a trigger in for someone one and it wasn't a big deal. I have no problems replacing my trigger, this will be my second step.

Today I'll go over my mounting screws. It's easy enough but, I don't think that's the problem but you never know. Probably should be checked anyway for good measure. Granted the scope wasn't $500.00 but it isn't a POS, @ 100 yds. I can get the quarter size groups. I don't re-adjust anything on the scope after the flyers. I havn't tried it at 150-200 yds. at the range yet. Irrelevant at this point.

I just assumed my barrel is free floating. I can pass paper under it and heck, I know the stock is not professionally done it's just stock factory for what it's worth.

The gun.........It's noooooooo CZ (better per some reviews but not all, they may have reviews in a higher class), can't see that as the issue. If that was the issue I would have more than the occasional flyer. Probably not ever achieve tight groups. NO! Than again it's not a CZ. I don't have any regrets for buying it (Marlin). Or regret not buying a CZ. EE, I respect your opinions and experience I'm not trying to be a smartazz. It (my flyer issue) is probably shooter issue. Maybe the way I'm going about it off of sandbags.

For my next trip out I'll use my buddies adjustable shooting rest. I think he has a couple of versions. I'm using and have used my whole life sandbags. This could be some of my issues.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a Savage 93R17-FVSS with the Accu-Trigger and a Leupold 3-9 with an adjustable objective. It likes the Hornady ballistic tipped 17 grain ammo. It is a great rifle. Do not but a Savage without the Accu-Trigger.

I have had the occasional "flyer" but I always attribute tham to wind. I do most of my target shooting at 100 to 150 yards. The gun used to like Federal 20 grain fodder but now it is better with the Hornady 17 grain stuff. I suspect the SS barrel may take a bit more shooting to break in.

Jim Skeel

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I have the earlier model of Savage 17 without the accutrigger. Does anyone know if Savage offers a retrofit and how much? Tron how much does just a Basix trigger cost for one of these rifles? Thanks Bill

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Savage 93, synthetic stock, accutrigger, 4-12X scope. Under 1" consistently at 100 on calm day. Mine likes Hornady ammo above all others but shoots all pretty well...I've tried Remington, CCI, Hornady and probably one other..

Also have a Taurus Tracker 6 1/2" in 17 HMR, gets about 600 fps less than the rifle (2550 ave) and is quite accurate. Just bought a scope to put on it and will do so as soon as I find a mount.

14. Tron

I paid $80 for that trigger about 3 years ago. It takes about 15 minutes to install.

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I went over my scope mounting, found nothing unusual. Called up and ordered the MTM Predator Gun rest. I need this for general purpose use anyway. Should of bought one (something) years ago. Gave it a good cleaning. Hope to have some 20 gr. Hornady, the rest, and no wind on Saturday or Sunday and I play with it again.

I'm not going to take these occasional flyers to heart that much because this gun does group well for the most part and at 50-100 yards the ground hogs and squirrels are knocked dead as hell.

16. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

have two of them. both Savage with accu triggers.

tried most of the available ammunition in them before settling on what i shoot now. but, i will continue to experiment, partly because i do want the best performance i can get and mostly because it's a lot of fun.

one, with a wood stock and heavy barrel likes the remington 17 gr ballistic tips. it will shoot these into .500 at 50 yards all day. devastating on small game. if you want to eat it, better shoot it in the head

the other, synthetic thumb hole likes the 20 gr hornady xtip. this one will keep them .375 / - at 50 yards all day. not quite as destructive but just as deadly

either one will stay under an inch at 100 yrds when the wind lays down

these things are some of the most fun shooting guns i've ever had. in the squirrel woods, if you can see it you can shoot it. several kills last season over 75 yards

killed a crow out back yesterday at 115 yards. took his head completely off his shoulders with the xtip bullet. great fun.

experiment and have fun with it. have a great day! dan

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

What's everyone paying for 17 ammo these days?

18. Tron

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that Horniday make the ammo for all other brand names. That would account for why the prices are the same from brand to brand. Dunno if it's true, but I wonder.

19. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

Spanky

If it was my gun I would stop cleaning the barrel. I also have a Savage 17hmr and if I clean it, the gun will not shoot until it has 15-30 rounds down the barrel. Sometimes it will take more than that. With no wind and off a rest it will easily shoot inside of an inch at a hundred yards, if there is wind forget it.

David Knapp

20. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

rimfirecentral.com has all the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.