1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any 16 yd. Reload info on cheap Fed hulls?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slide action, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Federal told me to use the data from the Top Gun or the cheap federal field hulls. I used about 18 grs. of Red Dot with a Fed 209 primer. According to Alliant, you can use the SAME data for Promo as you can for Red Dot. Just bear in mind that the Promo will drop heaver and you may have to drop a bushing or two for the same drop by weight in grains. Be sure to check your drops with a powder scale.

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The cheap Winchester, ribbed hull, steel base, takes the same components as the AA, heck the inner part is easier to see,

other then being a straight wall the Estate shells take the same components as the AA, STS, and Nitro27,

I won't name any names but more then one shooter has shown me this at their loading bench, and I can't argue with the results either!

Al

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here's my recipes:

700x Powder

1 oz. shot, 16 grs 700X, 12S0 (or clone) wad, Fed. 209A primer..1150 fps

1 oz. shot, 17 grs 700X, 12S0 (or clone) wad, Fed. 209A primer..1200 fps

Curt - Delaware

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you use Fed Game hulls, Fed 209A primer, 12S3 wad with 18 gr Promo in your 1 1/8 oz loads, you will be fine.

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

For what it's worth, Ben at Alliant recommends using the Federal Gold Medal plastic data for Top Gun etc hulls.

Morgan

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Two nice loads:

1 ounce shot, Federal Paper Base Hull, 18.3 grains Red Dot or Promo, Federal 209A primer, Federal 12S0 wad or clone. Gives about 1200 fps.

1 1/8 ounce of shot, 18.8 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Federal 209A primer, Federal 12S3 wad or clone. Gives about 1200 fps as well. 18.0-18.2 grains will drop the velocity down by about 30-45fps.

If you load them a second time, use the RIO primer in place of the Federal. It's a bit over sized and will cure the problem of gas leaks around the primers. The two primers give around the same velocities and are pretty close where intensity is concerned.

In any event, I'd load them no more than twice.

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The 2004 ed of Alliant's Reloaders' Guide lists the following Red Dot load for the Fed. Hi Power Plastic shell w/ rolled paper base wad.

1 1/8 oz shot; 1145 f/s; Fed 209A primer; 18.5 gr Red Dot; 8600 psi. As stated above Promo loads like Red Dot by weight.

Alliant's web site, link above.

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.