1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any 12 gauge dog training blank load sugestions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by M R Ducks, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

use a starter pistol. mount it to a black painted broom pole to simulate a gun barrel for marking drills. The important thing is to keep pup from breaking at the crack of the pistol. Once stready to report, it won't matter if you shoot a pistol or a shotgun.

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

contact Ballistic Products. They have a recipe for Popper Loads.

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

I used a Retrieve Trainer dummy launcher. It makes the pup relate the noice of a gun with something fun to do.

4. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

go back and read the book on how not to nake your dog gun shy.

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you have a fax available, I'll fax the info sheet from BP. I'm not about to type it.

6. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

hodgdon has load data for 3/4 oz loads using clays powder. i wonder what it would sound like if you put wild bird seed in it instead of lead?just wondering.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Making a blank is easy to do if you are willing to use black powder or one of the subtitutes. Basic recipie; dump about 30 g (BP eq. volume) of black into a primed hull, seat a wad on top of that, No shot, run through the crimper such that the mouth of the case is folded over and into the case. If you want a normal looking load you can fill the shot cup with sawdust and then crimp.

Two important notes. 1) don't run the powder through your loader. Dump it into the hull manually. Black powder has been known to ignight with static charges. 2) Clean your shotgun bbl out with armor-all or windex after shooting these blanks or you will have a ruined bore in short order.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Please, don't load anything without verifying with powder manufacturer. We used to load a blank for dog trials with 700X and a case filled with nitro cards. Sorry, can't remember how much powder but there was almost no pressure and they made a good bit of noise.

Big Jack

9. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Take 2 sections of 2x4s put a rubber band around them, just pry them apart and let them slam together,,, BANG you can use them anywhere, places wher you could not shoot even a blank, use them at feeding time. anytime any place. When the dog starts to ignore the report it is time to go to blanks.Fowl Frank

10. butcher

butcher Member

Just use primers in shot shells. That way your dog won't go deaf by age 5.

Otherwise I used to use my light trap powder 16 grams of 700 X and plastic wad and filled with either kitty litter or oil dri.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

wolfram, recent research and testing has basically found no grounds for the static charge ignition of black powder. That being said, I still use an old Ideal BP powder measure for my .32 blanks... with the revolvers, it works best if you enlarge the primer pocket holes, that helps prevent the primer from backing out and jamming the cylinder...

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Your probably right about black powder being immune to static charges Jim, but its one of those things that was drummed into my head. I too have bent the rules and loaded .45 colt BP ammo on my dillon. Always had a bad feeling about that tube full of black being right there in front of my face.

Where is Hell Michigan anyway? Detroit?

13. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Here is a recipe for a popper load that I have used in training for at least twenty years with no problems. Forget using black powder or substitutes. I have loaded this in RXP and AA hulls and use a single stage MEC. I do them in batches, I'll explain later. CCI 209 primer works best. 19gr Red Dot, any 12 guage plastic wad,I usually find them at garage sales cheap, and plain old white rice, again cheap.
    Of course de prime and prime the hulls,do a bunch. Drop the charge and seat the wad, as I said do them in batches. I have a dowl that I use to press the wad down on the powder charge before I scoup the rice in to the shell, experiment with how much rice so that you get a good crimp, crimp the load and you are done. I put the rice in one of my dog pans and just scoup it up and tap out the excess, it is an eyeball process.
    There is little or no recoil, but like any load watch where it is pointed. We substituted a mix of raparian seed and rice to vegitate some new training ponds and It worked very well.
    Have fun training. Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 gauge load data for training dogs

primed hull for dog training

primed hulls for dog training