1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Any 1100 Classic Trap shooters out there?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'd be interested to know how many 1100 Classic Trap shooters there are, and what modifications, if any, have you made? Thanks.

Porcupine

2. Larry Conrad

Larry Conrad TS Member

Porkie,

I own one, bought it for occasional sporting clays and doubles, she's unaltered
    except for a Ten Dollar clip on shell catcher. Really nice gun and best gun for the money! Frank 41

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I bought an 1100 out of the back of a Remington Reps. (remember them?) car about 30 years ago and shot it for years. It has a Timney speedlock trigger, Seitz-pattern holes in the barrel, add-on closer button, mount for a Tasco scope, clip-on shell catcher and a Carey-Comb recoil system. Other than that, it's about stock.

My 13 year-old grandson shot it in an 800 bird program two weeks ago and managed to lose the operating handle. We are in the market for a new handle. If anyone has one for sale please email me.

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Frank 41 is 100% correct...it is a great trap gun under any circumstances. The 3 chokes which come with it are a really nice touch. If you want one gun for trap & sporting clays, this is it.

5. dfm

dfm Member

A new-to-clay shooting friend bought one last year as his first dedicated trap gun. After 8,000+ rounds he's really coming into his own and is looking forward to the new year in September.

As an old time 1100 lover the immediate thing that struck me was the Classic's lightweight barrel. The swing, handling, and balance it brings to the 1100 platform makes the gun a true all 'rounder no matter what the game.

6. bderalex

bderalex TS Member

Oh puke,
    I bought one of these in april 03 and could not be any less impressed!
    well the wood was nice.
    I stopped shooting trap in 83 and had been using a trap grade 1100,
    very happy. So upon rentering the sport what better value than a classic?
    Oh hindsight, should have found a used trap grade.
    in a quest to hit something with this gun i have installed
    wineg new american lady's stock
    add on rib
    timmney trigger
    nothing makes a bad gun shoot like a goodun!
    Brad

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

: Porcupine

If you cant afford a real 1100 then email me and I will send you a BI-Cential Model which is a 1976 year model built like a tank I don't know about the classic's but I figured they are weak like most of the other new fangled stuff now days I left my email above if you want to try a classic 1100 1976 Bi-Cential and I will even pay the shipping charges to you and also I know you are the type of guy to be trusted so just let me know if you want me to send it to you .

Foggy!

8. pgithens

pgithens Member

I've been shooting one since 2001. Granted, I didn't shoot it much last yeab but it still has A LOT of shells through it. The only problem I had with the guns was when I brought it home, the handle would fly out after a couple shots. Remington fixed this under warranty by adding a stiffer spring behind the operating handle. There have been no other problems. The gun shot 60/40 out of the box and I had an adjustabel comb added and I also bought a used Timney trigger to put in it. It can go 1000-1500 rounds (or more) without cleaning. I've heard griping about the new one-piece gas seal but Remington says they are better and I believe them. I've shot doubles with this gun REALLY dirty and it cycles fine. It crushes targets.

9. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I have one of the last 1986 1100 tb trap guns, mod barrel, not the classic but close to it has the MC STOCK . I used it for 5 stand. 48 of 50 first time I shot it. GREAT GUN. Quit shooting it because heart problems. Been shooting 410 for last two years avg 23's with. I now shoot my 870 trap tb or 1100 skeet, and last week my 870 skeet. all good guns . GOOD LUCK
    BE SAFE

roble

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a late 1970s-vintage 1100 Tournament Trap that pretty much sat in my safe doing nothing until about 18 months ago. I have a pretty severe case of arthritis in my shoulders and neck and the day WILL come when the recoil of a fixed-breech gun will start getting to me. So I got the 1100 out, put on one of the Hastings high-rib trap barrels we sell through Shotgun Sports Magazine, had the Monte Carlo stock's comb made adjustable, replaced the recoil pad that had hardened into a stock protector and had that made adjustable while we were at it and installed a Timney release trigger assembly with closer button extension.

Boy, does that ever make for a sweet-shooting gun! Next to no recoil and that barrel really hammers targets. I wrote an article about it and a guy from Washington state now makes copies of it for people.

I've never shot one of the new Classics but they do look good. I like a heavy gun and would probably have to put a Hastings barrel on it for weight as well as POI. But I wonder if the forearm wood would have to be opened up to accomodate that barrel. Regardless, I think they are a good buy.

Ed

11. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Soon

I ordered one yesterday.

12. remingtonman

remingtonman TS Member

REM870TB- I knew it was only amatter of time LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Better yet do a friend a favor that is about to purchase a 391. Hit him as hard as you can in the arm. Then tell him that is how hard the 391 recoils. Friends do not let people they care about shoot Beretta 391's. Jeff

14. lorenzo1

lorenzo1 TS Member

One afternoon at the Seattle Skeet and Trap Club maybe 1975, I borrowed the Club 1100 Trap Gun and won most of the meat shoots with it. Put it in my truck and told Ron Tree Club Manager that I would buy the Club a new gun but they were not getting that one back.

Only problem with it is the clip on shell catcher causes the operating handle to fall out, so I use a rubber band.

Still have it, still win my share of meat with it.

Recently bought a 3 in mag 1100 choked modified, A rib but no sight beads on it for $240 at a gunshow. Shoots fine, at our altitude 6900 feet a cylinder bore will break 16 Yd targets nicely.

I have owned two 20 Ga. 1100's they seem to have zero recoil with standard loads.

Take your 1100 apart and polish the rubbing surfaces with a fine stone.

Lorenzo

15. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Enjoy your 391's; they are not for me however.

16. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Bought an 1100 Classic Trap about a year ago. The fit and chokes fix a world of problems. I have had a little trouble with this Classic Trap involving the following: drop a shell into the receiver; hit the release button; action will jam the shell upward and not close; I pull the handle back aways and release and the action will insert the shell properly and close. It only seems to do this occasionally - if the shell is "too far forward" in the receiver when the action is closed. Anyone else have this problem? Meanwhile I shoot an 870 with a straight trap stock, an older 1100 trap or older 1100 field, or a recently acquired Remington 31 TC. Would really like to stick with the Classic Trap if I could solve the action problem. Like SuperX Jeff, I tried the Beretta 391s - Ford vs. Chevy - I thought they kicked too much and were overrated. 1100s all the way!

17. erik_calhoun

erik_calhoun TS Member

oh god this kid is funny what do you say you try computer comedy

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    SuperXJeff, quote: "Better yet do a friend a favor that is about to purchase a 391. Hit him as hard as you can in the arm. Then tell him that is how hard the 391 recoils. Friends do not let people they care about shoot Beretta 391's."<br>
    <br>
    You realize, don't you, that you've just opened a can of worms and this thread will now be plastered with boat pics?

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I shoot an Classic Trap and am doing well enough with it. Two of the original choke tubes had inconsistent POIs. I replaced them with some budget Hastings choke tubes and never looked back. It shoots a bit flat (2"-3" high at 35 to 40 yds), but I got used to it in a hurry. I like the target contour barrel. I've had some shoulder surgeries and still have some nerve issues with the left arm. It has diminished the strength in that arm enough to give me a hard time with some of my older O/Us and other shotguns. The 1100 Classic Trap is light enough for that arm to handle it. The only other additions are a shell catcher, Meadows sight blinder, a gallon of Break Free, and a big bag of spare parts.

20. rrose

rrose TS Member

dberalex
    If you decide to sell off the Wenig stock could you please let me know?
    thanks
    randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.