1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Antivirus XP 2008 - WARNING!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by david, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david

david Member

Be aware when you are surfing the internet of a pop up message that says your computer is infected by 3000+ virus and to scan your system using Antivirus XP 2008. This ia a virus and will mess up your computer. DO NOT CLICK THE LINKS IN THIS POP UP!!!

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks David! Any way to "stick" this important information at the top till this thing dies out? Hap

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Amen, talked to 3 of my associates this week (who got trapped) and this virus basically shuts down your access to anything.

4. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Well, I got this little gem on my computer and I NEVER clicked on anything. It apparently came in as a "trojan horse" with something else. However, fear not!

Go to the above link and NAVIGATE DOWN THE PAGE until you find the following section:

Automated Removal Instructions for Antivirus XP 2008 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Download the FREE "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Download Link", load the FREE program and run it to remove the very nasty 'Antivirus XP 2008"!

DO NOT fall for the other sites that claim to remove the program if you purchase their software! On some sites you will find MANUAL removal instructions. Unless you are VERY computer literate, steer clear of these. The Malwarebytes program is downloadable for FREE, runs automatically and it does work!

BTW, McAfee did not catch the virus! I have since gone to AVG FREE and it has performed very well for me.

The Bayrat
    Erol Tucker - POC, TX

5. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Darn! Put the website URL in the wrong box the first time.

Just in case, here it is again:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008

The Bayrat
    Erol Tucker - POC, TX

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks David and Bayrat!

ec90t

7. bgf

bgf Active Member

I too got hit...boy, what a hassle to remove. Now have Norton 360. Lesson learned.

Bernie

8. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

I too got hit last week. Plan on picking my computer up today. $40 lesson learned.

Matt Ski

9. th445

th445 TS Member

I had it on my computer and it kept saying your not protected. I knew I was so I tried everything I knew to get rid of it. Finaly my son stopped by and search all programs for AV2008XP found it and deleated it so far so good.

10. KenC

KenC Member

Almost happened to our computer. Fortunately, my wife, who was on the computer at the time, asked me if she should do the download.

'AVG Free' is a great, free anti-virus.

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

The "X" in the upper right corner can be captured by a programmer. Pressing "X" does not guarantee nothing else will run. "No" means anything the programmer wants it to mean. The only way to kill a window without giving the programmer the opportunity to act on a key press is to use task manager and kill the program from there.

12. Deacon Stone

Deacon Stone TS Member

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Bayrat Erol Tucker you are the man. It worked. I just want to say thanks the taking the time to help me out. It saved me time, money, and down time on the computer. You were a great help.

Deacon Stone

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Here's a little info from Symantec about the issue.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-071613-4343-99&tabid=1

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-071613-4343-99&tabid=2

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-071613-4343-99&tabid=3

The last URL has detailed cleaning instructions. The registry can be hard to fix since the malware may have made modifications. There is a tool available from Symantec that will restore access to the registry so cleaning can be accomplished.

You may wish to disable the "system restore" feature before cleaning this, since you could possibly restore the system to it's infected state in the future. Windows will usually prevent any antivirus program from altering the system restore files, so cleaning must occur with the feature turned off, or when windows is not running. Some antivirus programs may allow a scan and cleaning before the system boots into windows. Avast is one that will. Whether or not it will catch and clean this one, I can't say, but it appears to have prevented an infection on a client's system.

14. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Norton anti-virus didn't catch it either. My monitor went blank and nothing I did worked. Took it to the tech. He kept it 3 days. Don't have the bill yet. Anyhow, I had the XP20008 and a Trojan which came in attached to a recipe from foodtv.com.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There is one good example of why you need to update your antivirus software at least on a daily basis. Current signature files from Symantec should catch it, but it may not have been able to a few days ago. These threats are sometimes modified and morphed, so it is a constant battle to keep them at bay. The best advice is not to allow anything to install or run, unless you are sure you know what it is. Anything that comes up and predicts some impending doom, besides your AV program, can be a clue.

One piece of advice is NOT to run Windows as an Administator. A user level account might prevent programs like this from installing, if you lock down the permission levels. You can always do installations and updates under the administrator account. Most if the time even without logging on. Just right click on the program file and choose "run as" and then select your administrator account. ALWAYS use a strong password on all accounts. A mix of letters, numbers, and other random characters usually work well. Not passwording your administrator level accounts is an invitation to disaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.