1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Antique Shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I just came into the pocession of an old single barrel shotgun just wondering if any one has any information about it. It's a Long Tom??

2. 6878mm

6878mm Member

I THINK??? that a Long Tom was a cannon used in the Boer War, so maybe a connection there, IE british make

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We used to see them often years ago. I think Gamble Stores or someone sold them, made for private label. I don't know the maker but someone here should.

HM

4. halfmile

Found it, made around 1900 by Stevens, sold through Sears.

There are other references on the above site.

HM

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I've a customer who has one. To me it was just a normal single shot hammer gun with a long barrel. This old customer of mine thinks it's something special. He calls it his "far knocker."

6. Bruce Specht

Thanks for the help, It will be a wall hanger as I see it was a blk powder gun.

7. halfmile

NO, that should shoot modern ammo. You should be able to tell if it's a Damascus or Twist offering, rather than plain steel.

They stopped that way before these were made, which was around the turn of the century.

HM

8. Bruce Specht

I'll take a closer look it doesn't look like a damascus twist

9. trap906

trap906 Member

they were made bt stevens way back in the 20's I think. My dad has one, only markings are "Long Tom" on the reciever and 12 ga. on barrel. 36"bbl. a lot of drop in the the stock like most of the old ones did, of course this worsens the recoil. pretty neat old guns that will handle smokeless loads.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have two of these both in 36" barrel. They also made one with 42" barrel. If anyone has that length in one they would sale, I would like to hear from them. I broke my first 25 straight with one of these guns.

11. Bruce Specht

The Long Tom I just received has a 40" barrel I took the barrel of the action and measured there must be several variations on the barrel length.

12. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I had a chance to buy one in Rogers Arkansas Saturday for $119.00 it was made by revelation. I didn't!

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I hunted one time about 35 years ago with a kid who carried his Grandpas Long Tom and he would waiit until all the hunting party was finished shooting and the pheasant would be way out of range of any of our weapons and he would bring down the bird. One shot was 90 yards from our line. I know that for a fact because the field we were in was 36 inch rows and the bird was 30 rows out. We still talk about that hunt when we run into each other. Dan

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Dahaub, that would be a 30 yard shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.