1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Antique Clay Pigeon Target List

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by brauem, Jun 21, 2013.

1. brauem

brauem Member

0   0   0

Here's my list of antique clay pigeons i have for sale. Email for photos of specific targets.

1. Ligowsky w/ clay tongue, Ligowsky w/o clay tongue (2 varieties). $55 and 35 ea. Also have a paper tab Ligowsky for $150.

2. 1887 Blue Rock; distinctive grooved rim, marked by die number inside dome. A Forest and Stream ad states that in 1888 all Blue Rocks' to be marked as such. $45.

3. 1888-1895 Blue Rock marked 'BLUE ROCK PIGEON' in thin block letter. some have a number on the dome (have only seen a '1') and sometimes the word PAT'D in small lettering. $40.

4. Blue Rock Pigeon marked 'BLUE ROCK PIGEON PAT'D, having a large die number in the center dome probably from around 1905 give or take. $20.

5. Blue Rock Pigeon marked just 'BLUE ROCK' in block lettering and having a die cavity numeral below. I have one pictured on an early 30s Chamberlain cataloge. I have not seen many of these sold, so only made for a few years. $25.

6. Blue Rock, Late 1930s to 1940s... says Remington underneath dome $6

8. STANDARD - target mfg by Cleveland Target Co. Shown in many early ads and sporting catalogues of the 1880s. Marked and Unmarked, $45 and up.

9. White Flyer - marked 'WHITE FLYER' (top of dome), This is the earliest of the W/F targets I know of, having a different lettering font. No Western logo. $35.

10. White Flyer - marked (top of dome)'WHITE FLYER' w/ small cavity ID; (under dome) inside of 'Diamond' Western logo, 'MFG'S OF THE FAMOUS FIELD...'. Dates for the FIELD trademark are from 1905 to about 1926. $25.

11. White Flyer - mrk'd (top of dome), 'WHITE FLYER' w/ large cavity ID; (inside dome) Western logo. 30's to 50's. $10.

14. Black Diamond $15.

17. Mossberg Targo miniature target. $4.
    18. Powder measure (likely Union Hardware, Torrington CT).
    [​IMG]

2. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

What an awesome collection of historical targets! I invite you to be a part of the Hall of Fame Silent Auction during the Grand. If you need any info, just email me.Thanks....
    Karla

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

Question: What purpose did the tabs serve?

4. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Dave

The Ligowsky targets "had tongues of heavy paper secured to them. These paper tongues were inserted between two springs which released them when the lever or arm attained the proper sweep. The main objection to the working of the targets was this tongue, for it was easily stuck or broken off."

Lots of information and images of early targets on the link

5. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

0   0   0

The Ligowsky trap, but the image resolution doesn't show the springs

[​IMG]

I believe the tab was molded as part of the clay in the 1880 Patent Ligowsky as shown in the middle clay of brauem's

[​IMG]

More vintage targets at the link

6. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

0   0   0

Ligowsky manufactured 3 main targets:

No. 1 Ligowsky Clay Pigeon, with Tongue . . . List per 1,000
    from Philadelphia . . $19.33
    from Cincinnati . . . . $18.00
    No. 2 Ligowsky Clay Pigeon, Tongueless . . List per 1,000
    from Philadelphia . . $14.33
    from Cincinnati . . . . $12.80
    No. 3 Ligowsky Clay Pigeon, Clay Tongue . . List per 1,000
    from Philadelphia . . $19.33
    from Cincinnati . . . . $18.00

In 1887 a Ligowsky trap that only threw the No. 1 clay pigeons sold for $7.93

One Ligowsky-Meuller trap at $6.80 only threw clay pigeon No. 2
    Another Ligowsky-Meuller trap selling for $5.66 only threw the No. 1

for $7.93 you could buy the Ligowsky-Meuller trap with exta Teipel arm and use either the No. 1 or No. 2 clay pigeons. Ben Teipel was a great shooter that few have ever heard about. He also had many inventions some of which he sold to Ligowsky. In my view he was HOF worthy.

Anyone who has ever held a Ligowsky target knows how light and thin they are.

The first Ligowsky target was made with a slot in the side rim which accepted a thin sheet metal or other material tongue, eventually held with glue inside. The tongues were trouble from the beginning, often times breaking the rim during throwing.

Ligowsky decided on an improvement where he glued a washer on the rim for support, inserted the tongue and then glued from the outside. These targets were advertised for re-use in trap with the interchangable "tongueless are" after the tongues wore off.

Clay Pigeon No. 2 did not have a tongue.

Clay Pigeon No. 3 had the clay tongue

Search tags for this page
1880 ligowsky target
antique clay pigeons
antique clay targets
black diamond trap thrower
blue rock 1 clay target pictures
old clay throwing tragets

vintage clay pigeons

vintage clay targets