1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Antimony.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Flinch, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

This has probably been covered so please excuse my ignorance if it has.

I know that high antimony pellets are harder, therefore less likely to deform; also antimony, as I've been told, only weighs about 58% of lead of the same volume. I have two questions since I don't reload. Lets assume 1oz. loads size 7-1/2.

1. Do you shooters that reload use the same bushing for 1oz. loads of high antimony shot as you do for low antimony? In other words are you loading by volume or do you actually weigh your shot and adjust accordingly?

2. Has anyone weighed factory loads ex. 1oz. Gun Club low antimony as opposed to 1oz. STS high antimony just to see if 1oz. is always 1oz. by weight or is the same wad used and just done by volume?

Most of you have probably already considered this, I'm just curious because if loaded by volume it seems to me that 1oz. loads of high antimony wouldn't really weigh 1 oz., right?

Curious Mr. Flinch aka Mark.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You are on the right track.

1oz of 5% antimony-shot has both: more pellets and occupies a greater volume than 1oz of soft-lead <del>shit</del> shOt. (oops ?)

'Standard' Bushings are all cut for #8 soft shot. MEC has 'skeet' bushings that are cut for 5% #9, but aside from that, if you want to get <i>exactly</i> 1oz of 5% #7½ you have to modify a bushing.

for ±10 pellets, most folks won't bother, even if they knew the difference between volume and mass.

Bob

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Hornady used to have 3 different 1 1/8 bushings for 7 1/2,8 or 9 , and were so marked. Jeff

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Hey goatskin,

Does soft-lead shit go splat when it hits the target, or does it break them?

I almost fell out of my chair when I read your typo. LOL

Chuck

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have adjustable charge bars and have opened them up to true 1 and 1-1/8 oz measurements by weight.

I have been shooting pure lead shot for years in my reloads and cannot tell any difference between a target break with a new shell and a reload.

I would think a load of shot with pure lead would impart more energy to the target as opposed to shot with antimony because of the heavier weight of the pure lead.

But what the hell do I know, shot shell companies have been making and selling "hard" lead shot for a longer time than I have been alive.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Your are right Mark. At least with MEC all of their charge bars and bushings are measured with Lawrence Brand chilled shot. I have for over 20 years used an adjustable bar.

FWIW... Remington STS, Nitros, and Winchester AA's weigh on average 500 grains for 1-1/8 ounce loads. I have not weighed factory 1 ounce loads.

Wayne

7. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

The most important question for goatskin is how he got the + and - to be a single character, let alone the special 1/2 character. You rock!

LMS

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

While pressing and holding the alt key down and then type 171 and then let alt up = ½. alt 248 = °. alt 64 = @.

I would have to look the other up. Ray

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Good crowd. :)

10. locdoc

locdoc Member

Ray,

Where might one look up a source for the cross reference to those special symbols? TIA

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Hell, it's the main reason I haven't asked for a divorce.

-Gary

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Doug the above website has a pretty good chart with all the symbols on it.

This one also is pretty good.

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html

Google special keyboard symbols and you will get pages of them.

Bob Lawless

13. locdoc

locdoc Member

Thanks, Bob

See you at Royalston later this month???

Doug

14. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

So by using a fixed factory bushing on most loaders you will fall short by weight when using High antimony shot? I'm sure most experienced reloaders will make modifications and weigh their shot, just being curious. Mark.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yep, Mark, that sums it up nicely. There are 8-10-12 pellets difference, per ounce between soft and hard shot.

Actually, I doubt many modify their bars/bushings to drop 'true', especially in 12ga. 28 & li'l gun are a different matter.

16. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

When I open a new keg of powder I spread it out on a sheet of drywall and pick out any deformed grains.

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You are my hero, Mike.

And I'll be you know if 'anal retentive' should be hyphenated, or not, too, don'cha?

Bob

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well Mike for what it is worth I agree. Just more BS than necessary. Spend your time loading and shooting not modifying.

Bob Lawless

19. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've had to open up every charge bar I have ever bought from Mec in any gauge and all 3 in the 12 as well. Its not that big of deal as I always use the same Lawence brand mag. shot. (Why load with anything less) This is not a big problem with 12 ga. shells, but the problem increases with each and every gauge you go down. break em all JEff

20. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I went to an adjustable bar for my Mecs and left the bushings behind.

Works for me.

ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.