1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti gun? Just tell them...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Last night on a radio show called Coast to Coast AM I heard a gentelmen by the name of John Lott ( VERY pro gun) talk on the right to own firearms.
    He said that if someone were to ask you why we need guns your answer should be " if someone were stalking you or someone in you family would you put a sign on your lawn like they have near schools and the like that read GUN FREE ZONE and see what their answer is". As Clint would say "well would you"?

2. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

How about "Protected by Smith & Wesson"? BT-100dc

3. Chip Pitcairn

Chip Pitcairn TS Member

John Lott's book "More Guns Less Crime" is a must read for those of us concerned about Second Amendment Rights.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Maybe a sign that states; Don't worry about the dog, worry about his owner!

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

John Lott, if any of my memory is to be trusted, was an anti-gun person; college prof. or later became so. He took it upon himself to prove the anti-gun mantra by agressive research into statistics, records from the FBI et cetera and when he finally compiled all the ammunition (sorry) he could find, he discovered he basically had turned completely around on the issue. He became a staunch supporter of gun ownership and the ability to carry guns concealed, a person who liked the saying "An armed socity is a polite society." I suspect if anyone is really interested he could find info by googling the man - which I have not but I well remember the impact of his research and writing back, hmmm, I want to say ;70s.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

John Lott teaches (taught?) at Swarthmore College in PA.

I don't think he was 'anti gun' per se, if I recall correctly he stated that he never thought about the issue (was never a gun owner, never fired a gun).

He did a statistical analysis of murder rates (violent crime?) by county relative to the issuance of CCW permits. The results were very conclusive that CCW decreased violent crimes in every county/state where CCW's were 'easy' to obtain.

His research was exceptionally well done, despite claims to the contrary.

Gary Kleck has also researched in this area and draws many similar conclusions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.